1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-9 Authoring

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by eventual, Sep 10, 2004.

1. eventual

eventual Guest

I use Impression for DVD-5 Authoring. But when I try to exceed the 4.7Gb barrier I error out. Dual Layer is not supported by Impression. Before considering DVD Workshop (Ulead) I read into their FAQ and other Forum posts, seems their software isn't ready for the layer break either, that being a complete guessing game. The software here, Decrypter, Rebuilder, etc. seem very capable. I have officially switched to Decrypter for it's impressive ease and efficiency. What software would be capable of authoring new DVD+r-DLs? Ulead DVD Workshop claims capability but users reporting errors/patches unavialable.

2. eventual

eventual Guest

At 6Mb/s MP2+WAV = 56060Kb/min or 1hr22min / DVD-5
    At 5Mb/s MP2+WAV = 47460Kb/min or 1hr36min / DVD-5
    At 6Mb/s MP2+MPA = 45969Kb/min or 1hr40min / DVD-5
    At 4Mb/s MP2+MPA = 42179Kb/min or 1hr48min / DVD-5
    At 5Mb/s MP2+MPA = 41377Kb/min or 1hr51min / DVD-5
    At 4Mb/s MP2+MPA = 30604Kb/min or 2hr30min / DVD-5

So now that there are discs with twice the capacity (dual layer) I would like to graduate to higher quality standards. Imagine twice the duration, up to 5hrs of footage / disc, or twice the fidelity.

I am willing to 'try' some 8.5s through DVD Workshop, is there another application capable?

3. eventual

eventual Guest

At 6Mb/s MP2+WAV = 56060Kb/min or 1hr22min / DVD-5
    At 5Mb/s MP2+WAV = 47460Kb/min or 1hr36min / DVD-5
    At 6Mb/s MP2+MPA = 45969Kb/min or 1hr40min / DVD-5
    At 4Mb/s MP2+WAV = 42179Kb/min or 1hr48min / DVD-5
    At 5Mb/s MP2+MPA = 41377Kb/min or 1hr51min / DVD-5
    At 4Mb/s MP2+MPA = 30604Kb/min or 2hr30min / DVD-5

-Line4 corrected

4. damionm

damionm Member

Dude,...Adobe Encore DVD has full support for burning double layer (or dual layer, whichever term you use) discs.

5. damionm

damionm Member

Actually, Adobe Encore 1.5 only supports dual layer discs when you're outputting to DLT. It doesn't write directly to the new DVD+R DL discs. But, there is a successful work-around!...here's what you have to do. From Encore, you can output a DVD folder that consists of the VOB files that make up your Encore DVD project, and prospective DVD-Video. Before doing this, use the preview feature in Encore to simulate actual TV-set and Computer playback (check menus, button links, etc.). Don't let the unsynchronized A/V playback from your movie throw you off or scare you,..it's just a simulator, and relies on the process so sometimes the video or audio might lag, causing this illusion of unsynchronization. It had be worried until I burned the disc and saw that all was well. If everything works the way you want, you can then go into Nero Burning ROM 6 Ultra Edition, and start the 'DVD-Video' link from Nero SmartStart. Once the compilation window(s) are open, find your newly created DVD Video folder and search for the Video_TS folder. Drag the files from that Video_TS folder that Encore made to the Video_TS folder in your DVD compilation in Nero [red folder]. *NOTE* You'll see an Audio_TS folder in the Nero DVD compilation too, but you don't need to put anything in there. After that, you can let her rip,..and enjoy your DVD-9. I did this today for the second time, and it's worked both times. If it helps, I'm using the SONY DRU700A (internal)drive.

6. eventual

eventual Guest

OK. Great to hear the good news. I am giving DVDWorkshop a try and it has similar options. I guess I'm hesitant to crank out even the first $8 coaster. In other posts, I've read the similar method, use Nero to put an img onto disc. When I was new to DVDws, I couldn't find the output options that would make an image of your menu/DVD so progress was slow. I'm reworking some large files now in preparation for the DVD-9. Since I've already exceeded the limit of 8.5 will only need to recompress the audio and it will fit. On your advice I just puchased Adobe Encore. Will give it a whirl. Should be a couple more days before it arrives in mail.

Impression is the only application that will burn to my DVR-s201. Nero doesn't see it, Dercrypter fails, DVD Copy fails, DVDWorkshop fails. Ancient software for ancient equipment?

New software for new equipment. Since Nero hasn't been able to use the DVR-s201, I haven't used it. I also use 2 Sony drives, the DRU-120A and the DRX-700UL (external). Nero is more perplexing with all the different types of media it supports, but I can easily burn image files with it, it's very capable that way.

I received Nero 6.3.x with the new DL drive. I purchased TraxData from EU and Sony from their site.

So, in summary, it seems all the authoring applications won't directly output the composition to DVD anyway, they all make the img first and then output that from the HDD. This means Nero should be able to do the rest, as long as it has an IMG or ISO to work with. I'll try that next, making the composition (for DLT?), save UDF/ISO file, and use Nero to sear it.

7. Spoonman

Spoonman Member

damionm, what length are the projects you've been outputting? i'm trying to get my DL drive to work with projects about 2-2.5 hours long.

for reference my drive is a BenQ 1600A