1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD AND STAND ALONE DVD PLAYERS

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by NewMedia, Apr 3, 2002.

1. NewMedia

NewMedia Guest

Please help.

I am having a very odd problem. I digitize MPEG 2 in real time using Pinnacle 1000 and author the DVD with Minerva and record using PrasiDVD and Pioneer A03 burner. So far all is working fine. I can play and browse the DVD flawlessly until I play it on a stand alone DVD player at home. When I use my stand alone DVD player the DVD will skip, stop, and go to a different chapter point without navigating. The same disk is played on a different DVD player and it works perfect. I tried 4 stand alone DVD players in the disc behaves different on all. What and where is the problem? Why is it playing fine on some DVD players and not on others?
    Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2002
  2. Ketola

Ketola Fighting ninjas Staff Member

DVD1000 or DC1000? Since you're using Minerva, I suppose it's the DC1000. If it's the DVD1000, you might want to give Impression DVD Pro a shot.

Have you tried burning the DVD with Nero Burning ROM?
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/nero.cfm

It could also be that the players you have tried do not support DVD-R, but I suppose if that were the case, the discs wouldn't be played back at all.

3. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

I'd stick with Prassi and not Nero. Nero's a good burner, but even 5.5.7.8 has given me weird results. Prassi has been reliable with the A03.

Try testing your VOBs using BiterateViewer (I think that's the name). It shows you the bitrate on your DVD graphically and you can see how high the spikes get (assuming you're using VBR).Apparently some home-brew DVDs can spike to a high bitrate which some players dislike.

4. NewMedia

NewMedia Guest

Hi guys, yes I am using Pinnacle DC 1000 for capturing and I am using Minerva DVD RPRO 2.1. I am digitizing to mpeg 2 at 5 Mbt VBR. I was told by technical support that the reason I am having the problem is because I used cheap DVD (Imation) media. I will try with the best they recommend (Pioneer of course) and see the results. I will keep you posted.

5. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Maxell media works well with my A03 and DVD decks (Pioneer and VDDV). They are a little cheaper where I live.