1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD and VCD

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by rocky4547, Sep 17, 2004.

1. rocky4547

rocky4547 Guest

I am completely confused about these formats. I have examined some movie DVDs finding folders named Audio_TS and Video_TS with files inside of type IFO BUP and VOB.

Now, when some of these software programs convert AVI to supposedly DVD you get MPG files. This isn't DVD but it says it is, right? Is it fake DVD?

Can you burn Audio_TS (the real DVD) on to a CD burner with DVD software or must you have a DVD burner too.
    Sorry but I posted this already in the wrong location.

Any recommendations for software that will convert AVI to a real DVD and burn it on a CD burner?
    Also,

I have exported AVI with text in the file and it looks horrible in VCD at 480 by 320 or whatever the low res is. Why is this a good format for video when it looks like shit for text. Images aren;t to bad.
    THanks,
    Rocky

2. Lennart

Lennart Guest

I don't understand all that u written, but:

A bought dvd is 9 GB, a burned 4.5 GB, no room on a cd. There are something called minidvv, but I think it's for up to 15 minutes.

Look here; http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    specially in the bottom of the page.

When u convert from dvd to vcd/avi information is skipped/destroyed. This quality loss u can never regain when convering back to dvd.

3. rocky4547

rocky4547 Guest

Thanks. In my case I only want to burn 400 meg on the DVD so there is space for what I want. With this in mind, is there a way to get 740 x 480 or so res in DVD mode but on CD that will play on a DVD player?
    Rocky

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

You can burn DVD files on a CD (this format is called miniDVD by the way), but there are some things to keep in mind. First, not all DVD players will play DVD files off a CD. When you insert a disc the player first checks to see what kind of media it is. If it's a CD some players will still check for DVD files, but others won't. The only way to find out for sure if yours will play them is to make a CD to test it with and try playing it. If the disc plays, your player supports it. If it doesn't play you're pretty much out of luck.

If you've determined that your player supports miniDVD you still have to be careful about how the audio and video is encoded. Since the data on a DVD is more tightly packed, a CD would have to spin much faster to read the same amount of data in the same amount of time. That means you can have a bitrate that's completely standards compliant, but which won't play back properly from a CD. When I was making miniDVDs I found that my player would have problems with total bitrates (video + audio) above about 4700kbps. Since I was using 192kbps audio files that meant encoding the video with a maximum bitrate of 4500kbps. One trick I often used was encoding the video at Half D1 resolution (352x480 NTSC or 352x576 PAL) to keep decent quality at lower bitrates.

Other than the bitrate limitations, making a miniDVD is essentially like making a regular DVD. The settings for whatever burning program you use should be the same.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004