1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Audio Creator worth a try?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mikeeagle, Jan 23, 2005.

1. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

Hi there,

I have read about a programm called DVD Audio Creator. Does anyone have some experience with it? Sounds great to be able to put several CDs on one DVD.

Does it even improve sound quality when I upsample one of my CDs to 24 bits and/or 96 khz in PCM?

How is the AC3 Quality? Is it Dolby Digital? Is it worth converting MP3 music to it?

Is the programm buggy? I have a Philips DVD 720 SA player.

Thanks!

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

its not free right ? so not worth it. there are free tools out there.

absolutely not. its better too stay at the original.

if you're talking dvd videos, usually the 5.1 surround audio is at 448kbps (meaning its good). it is dolby digital.
    converting to mp3 means losing the surround sound. mp3 does not support surround. the only thinng i heard of is fraunhoffer surround implication for mp3 its not really 5.1 its more of a dolby pro logic thing.

if you want to keep the 5.1 i say use the original ac3 or recompress it to ac3 with lower bitrate or even better compress to aac. HE aac from nero is the best i could think of

3. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

AC3: if I have mp3 files, I thought it's good enough to convert them to AC3 instead of PCM. Just to save space. AC3 Stereo would be good enough. So converting mp3 with 192 or 256 kbps to AC3 with 448 kbps would mean not losing quality, right?

What free alternatives are there?

DVD Audio Creator does create nice menus for your DVD Player. I only know about DVD2one Audio Remaster as an alternative. But it's also not for free and does not create DVD menus. But the makers say that the programm does improve sound quality. http://www.eximius.nl/products.php

By the way, I do have Nero 6.6. What is AAC good for? The DVDs should be playable on my Philips player and any other DVD Player. I doubt that's possible with AAC.

A DVD Player that can play Musepack (MPC), FLAC or Monkey Audio would be really nice, too.

PCM: If I convert from a CD with 16 bit and 44.1 khz to PCM 16 bit and 48 khz (or higher) I shouldn't lose quality at all I thought. Am I wrong?

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No, your right. The file size will be a little larger then one encoded at 44.1 KHz though. I don't think you will be able to hear a differnce between a Wave encoded at 44.1 KHz and a Wave encoded at 48 KHz when the source file was encoded at 44.1 KHz.

I don't know how trasparent the AC3 codec is. Normally when you re-encode (recompress) from a lossy format (Mp3) to another lossy format (AC3) the sound quality will always be worse than the source file (Mp3). I suggest converting the file to Flac, Monkeys Audio, or some other type of lossless format be for going to AC3 (or any lossy format).

Never go form lossy to lossy! Source (CD/DVD) to lossless (Flac, Monkeys Audio, Shin, ect...) to lossy (Mp3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AC3, AAC, ect...) is the best way. Source to lossy to lossless to lossy will at least allow you to maintain the quality of the lossy file created from the original source.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

aac ? for pc use only.
    so i think you should stick with ac3. if its 5.1 channel and mp3 for stereo. ac3 is fine too.

dvd audio creator. try it first, if you like it, then go for it. i'm not saying that its bad. i'm saying i'm too cheap to buy :)

try headac3he.
    it only encodes. doesn't have menues or w/e

as for freq upsampling, i try not to do it if i can. you can use 44khz or 48khz for dvd, its just may not be guranteed that it would play properly on hardware player. but mine plays perfectly.
    resampling might introduce unwanted noise.

i don't know any dvd player that play flac/musepack, but that would be cool. only portable players, only seen support for vorbis and flac.

for 5.1 audio, using lossless is crazy. you will get a larger size than the original ac3 which is lossy, and renders pointless. its better to keep the original.