1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Audio Solo Vs. Lplex

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by CompNo, Aug 12, 2015.

1. CompNo

CompNo Member

Hello!

If I burn a bunch of 24/96 flac files to a DVD-A disc using DVD-Audio solo and then burn the same files to a DVD using Lplex, will there be any difference in audio quality between the two if played on the same DVD-A compatible player?

Thanks...

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Doesn't matter what you burn it with it'll be the same flac if burned directly as is,this includes removing the album art from the container & replacing it with a larger one,the flac file will increase in size to accommodate.Only loss would be converting to another format even then i doubt you'd notice any difference

3. CompNo

CompNo Member

So, just to clarify: there's no difference at all in quality between the DVD-Audio disc of 24/96 and the final product that Lplex creates with the 24/96 files?

I'm trying to decide how best to archive my hi-res files to play on a standalone. Lplex will create a disc that's playable on any dvd player, supposedly keeping the full quality of the original files. If this is true, I guess this is the way to go if DVD-Audio adds nothing whatsoever.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

At worst it will apply more compression as it's lossless & not creating lossy (mp3).I assume one of those programs you mention creates an iso image before burning,you could either extract the files from inside & see what they are & run mediainfo on it & then play them or play the iso in a pc media player & see how it sounds.or use a rw dvd as a test

http://audioplex.sourceforge.net/

CompNo likes this.
  5. CompNo

CompNo Member

Good ideas: thanks for your input.

6. greenbag

greenbag Newbie

I've been playing with both the last few weeks. DVD-A will only play in a DVD-A player, or with an app that supports it. I couldn't play my file in VLC or anything else I had. Only static. Lplex on the other hand, the disc plays in any DVD player.. even in a car. The only issue I'm having with it.. I can't get it to add individual backgrounds with the track titles, and still have it play "seamless". Dropping the folder onto lplex, or not specifying individual jpg's in the test.lplex file, and it's seamless.. but with a standard black background. Kinda sucks for concerts. It's supposed to work, but it still gives a split second gap when changing backgrounds.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

For a permanent archive use hard disks. Pressed DVDs are probably permanent (or long lasting *) but not burned DVDs. I have a very large video collection. For the last few years I have been ripping the burned DVDs and saving them to hard disks. The old slow burning DVDs are more stable than the new faster burning DVDs. 2X may last 15 years. 8x may last 10 years 12 x a few years and 16 x often less than a year. These are Verbatum disks. Other blanks are far more iffy. What ever makes the dye able to take burn faster makes it age faster as well.

I have top of the line burners. Sometimes they can read what a player considers a blank disk.

I fully concur with Scorp lossless is always lossless. You can't hear the difference between lossless and a high quality lossy file even though it is different.

*Pressed DVDs and CDs store the recording on foil not in die. Even the quality of the plastic is better than that of burn disk blanks. The plastic tends to fog 20 yrs. for a pressed disk. CDs last much longer than DVDs because the burn spots are much bigger so they last longer.

8. CompNo

CompNo Member

@Mez:

Thanks for the mini-lesson on media. It's something I'll definitely keep in mind. I am wondering if the same deterioration issue applies if I burn to modern media at the slowest speed.