1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Audio

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by anpmech, Mar 19, 2005.

1. anpmech

anpmech Member

My new Harmon Kardon receiver won't play sound when I play certain DVD audio disks. Only my DTS DVD audio disks will play normally. The Dolby Digital 5.1 disks...no sound. DVD movies all play and sound normally in any format. Are some DVD audio disks incompatible with new recievers?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

How is the audio from you DVD player transferred to your receiver?

3. anpmech

anpmech Member

I have an "S" Video conection from the DVD to the reciever and a Digital Coax cable for the audio and that's it.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

In order to get true DVD-Audio Sound from your discs, you have to have a dvd player that plays DVD-Audio discs. These types of player have a sepeate output for this signal.(6 plugs: left,right,center,sur left,sur right, LFE) The reason you use these plugs is because the bandwidth of a digital connection is not enough to carry this audio signal. Most DVD-Audio DVDs have a seperate track with the same audio, but this is lower in quality. Same for DTS Audio DVDs. You also have to have a receiver that accepts these connections. I think the discs you are not able to hear are ones with high resolution audio only. Unfortunatly the way you have been listening to your audio dvds is not taking advantage of the disc's full potential.

5. anpmech

anpmech Member

My DVD is a new one (6 months old) and it, connected to my old Pioneer Reciever with RC connections, 6 plugs as you said, did play the 5.1 Dolby Digital as well as the DTS stuff. That's why I was annoyed that the new Harmon Kardon won't play them with the connection I have now. I loved the sound from those Audio DVD's.

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

So your new receiver doesn't have 6 ch analog inputs? Why the need for a new receiver? Very surprising your harmon kardon lacks these connections.

What about your video connection? Does your tv only accept composite and S-Video?

7. anpmech

anpmech Member

It does have the analog inputs I believe. I just thought the digital would be better. I will try the analog connection and see if I can get the audio DVD to work. My TV connection is S video. I bought the new reciever cause I wanted digital connections for the TV I am going to buy. The Pioneer had none, it was 3-4 years old and only did 5.1 with RC plugs.

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Good deal. Remember digital cables(coax,fiber optic) are great for listening to movies, but when it come to DVD-Audio discs you need those 6 analog connections in order to hear the higher resolution tracks.

Don't forget to set up the dvd player to output this accordingly. Good luck.