1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD authoring and menus

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Bodene, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

I have 2 complete movies already set up with all the correct files and in VOB format, each being at, or a little less than 2gb. I wish to put them onto a DVDr, and have a menu that allows me to choose one or the other to watch.

I know nuttin about doing this. Is there any freeware out there that would allow me to do it? I have arcsoft showbiz, but it won't allow me to author a dvd using files that are in vob format. It'll only create a dvd if the source files are in some other video format. I also have Ulead Video Studio 4, but I'm not sure if it'll work for that.

Any advice will be appreciated.

2. Fatboy_

Fatboy_ Member

Don't quote me on this but i think you need to make the titles when the film is in mpeg2 format (prior to encoding to vob)...

I'm not sure about freeware tools but i use ulead dvd moviefactory and dvd workshop, the latter being a bit better because you can add moving titles and stuff

3. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

TMPGEnc DVD Author will allow you to import your VOB files, and then to make a menu allowing you to directly select one movie or the other.
    The program isn't free, but is a very worthwhile investment if you are going to be doing much DVD authoring in the future.
    Here is a good guide on the process:
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm

4. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

OK...I got TMPGenc DVD Author and used Chris's guide to walk me thru the authoring. Only problem now is that it won't let me put my movies onto a DVD since the resolution isn't standard. Stopped me dead in my tracks. Now I'm back to square one again. Is there any way to get TMPGenc DVD Author to not give a sheeeit about the resolution, and just create the DVD like I want? If not...what, if anything, can I do to adjust the size of the video?

5. madbaz

madbaz Member

Im having the same problem. Seems im doing something wrong with TMPGenc that wont let TMPGenc AUTHOUR read the file. Not really sure what im doing just trying to stumble my way through. When i tried to load the mpeg file to author without putting it through TMP it said it said the video sequence header was incorrect. This is probably a stupid question but as a newbie i think its mandatory to ask at least one. Will turning mpeg or avi into mpeg2 increase the quality in any way or is the only advantage getting more files onto a disk.

6. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

Well,
    Where did ou hget these VOBs? Are they ripped off a purchased commercial DVD, or did you make them yourself from AVI files?

If they do not meet basic DVD specifications, your standalone player will not accept the DVD either. The following page gives a complete rundown of the DVD format, so you can check to see where your files are lacking:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd

Also, make sure that you are creating the proper type of compilation (NTSC or PAL, they have different resolutions).

7. nobbi1977

nobbi1977 Member

TMPGEnc DVD Author is great sometimes, but on half the films where i have used Shrink to rip movie only it only imports half the chapters!!

Its very odd, i got to add dvd files, drop in the whole film but it only shows half the chapters. some films work, others dont

8. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Here's how I did it.

1) Ripped the commercial DVD with DVDx into an MPEG2 at a resolution of 704/580 (I think), at 29fps. Made an excellent MPEG. I adjusted the resolution becuz I wanted the MPEG to fill the screen like the widescreen original, but the default MPEG2 settings were either puny, or appeared stretched or smushed. That resolution gave me a virtually identical screen view as the original DVD does.

2) Ran the MPEG thru TMPGEnc which created an m2v video file, and an mpa audio file.

3) Put these files thru IFOEdit, which brilliantly transformed them into bup, ifo, and vob files that were ready to burn onto a DVD.

4) I put these into TMPGEnc DVD Author (since I want to put 2 movies onto one DVD with a menu) and it sed the resolution was not standard, so it refused to do anything else.

5) I decided to just put the 2gig worth of DVD-ready files onto a DVD...which I did with Nero. However, it refused to play on my standalone...due to region restriction.(Played perfectly on my puter using PowerDVD and clicking the VOB) No idea how this happened...since the original movie plays fine on that same standalone. Sumthin got boogered up somewhere.

Any ideas? I don't mind re-ripping the MPEG2's if necessary, I just want to accomplish my goal. Seems to me that TMPGEnc DVD Author shouldn't care about anything cept creating a menu and putting my movies onto a DVD in the form I choose. Let ME worry about the derned resolution. If nuttin else, it should ask u if u wish to continue....with the knowledge that the resolution is not ideal for viewing on a DVD. To me, this is akin to a gas pump not pumping any gas becuz it doesn't like the color of my truck.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It's not just a question of optimal resolution. DVD Author supports resolutions specified by the DVD standard. Some DVD players won't play any other resolutions. Many (especially newer ones) will accept other resolutions like 480x480(SVCD). I have no idea how many players will accept completely non-standard resolutions, but I'm guessing most won't. DVD-Lab will accept 720x480, 704x480, 352x480, 352x240, 480x480, or 544x480 (laserdisc I think) resolution.

I'm not familiar with DVDx so I can't help with that, except to say that if the video is at 29.97fps and the horizontal resolution is 704, the vertical resolution should be 480 not 580. Since NTSC DVDs are normally 720x480 (at least all the ones I've seen), 704 also looks suspicious. If you want to check the resolution of the original, you can use IfoEdit to open the IFO file for the titleset containing the main movie (VTS_XX_0.IFO) and look for this line -
    Title Set (Movie) Attributes:
    The next line down should tell you the movie's resolution.

Example (from I'm Gonna Git You Sucka R1)-
    Title Set (Movie) Attributes:
    Video: MPEG-2 720x480 (NTSC) (NTSC 525/60) (4:3) (not specified perm.display)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  10. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Thanks vurbal......I'll rethink this deal and keep what you've told me in mind. I appreciate your time.

11. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

No Problem.

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

(dvd ripping and AUTO! compress /or manual size change {to get 2 gig for one film} - use DVD Shrink v3.0beta5 - EASY AS PIE!)

OK! i have put 2 films onto dvd-R with a menu! (TMPGenc DVD Author)

1, was a svcd (3 discs) i took the 3 mpegs from the 3 discs one from each!

2, was a dvd rip main movie only

both ended up about 2 gig each film!

I loaded the main movie dvd rip in to tmpgenc dvd author fine!

i loaded the 3 mpegs into tmpgenc dvd author and it didnt like them (not dvd compliant! it said) ok! to get over this was easy! i used a program called VCDeasy on tools tab for mpegs and ran them in that to make compliant!

then i put thme back into tmpgenc dvd author and all fine!

ok now i have them in go to menu tab! and create menu! and output dvd vobs/ifos/bups with menu! excellant alot easier than whats been said so far!

===========================
    extra things you get from this also! the 3 mpegs made 3 chapter pionts for the menu!

the dvd rip main movie kept all its own original chapter pionts

you can put your own background picture in on each part of menu! also own font type!

Which all in all made the menu better!

if you need help on this try it and tell me what you get stuck on but tmpgenc is very easy even for me to grab in a couple of hours!

Thx.........

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2003
  13. madbaz

madbaz Member

Thanx Rotary thats what i was having trouble with. Ill run my mpeg through VCDeasy and see how i go. From what ive read here and elsewhere it seems the go is to encode to svcd instead of dvd using TMPGenc
    Cheers

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

i didnt go to SVCD i took the mpeg from the svcd! the matrix film came on svcd the equilibrum film came on dvd!

i put all in to make a dvd-r for standalones!

could you explain how you mean you wnat to get MPEG to SVCD then to MPEG to get vobs/ifo/bups for a dvd? i am lost now what you need?

THx....

15. madbaz

madbaz Member

ok i have a few mpegs and avis that range in size from 100meg to 750meg. i would like to get as many of them as possible onto a dvd with menus. i figured that the mpegs would be able to go straight through TMPGEnc Author but got a header sequence error(?) I havent evev tried the avis yet.

16. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

I've discovered that part of my problem is that some of my MPEG2 videos are in PAL 25fps with a resolution of 704/580, and some are NTSB 29.97fps with a resolution of 704/580. Neither of these are DVD compliant so it looks like all my rips are good for nuttin but watching on the puter. Sucks cuz I really wanted to be able to put 2 movies on one DVD without having to re-rip.