1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd authoring help and tips

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Stevenz, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Stevenz

Stevenz Member

Ok I am a newbie here and have tried and failed a few times

I have a sony digital video camera which I then captured onto the pc onto windows movie maker and edited then used a ulead program to convert into dvd. all the steps were a peice of cake but I ended up with horizontal lines across the images on the tv when people or objects moved.

Also I found that it would play on my dvd player at home but not others

I dont know what or how to fix these issues so if anyone can help and also provide some tips

Plus what software would you recommend for all the steps from capturing to burning to disk

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

If it is digital, can you not skip the "capture" process and upload directly to the computer. Or is that what you mean by "capture"?

I think the first thing to do is determine whether the problems arose during what you call the "capture", or doing the reeding and conversion to dvd. The first should yield an avi or mpg file that ought to be playable in any media player. Before doing any kind of edit, I'd play it and make sure that the "horizontal" lines are not present in the source.

If not, then the editing possibilities are endless. I haven't used Windows Movie Maker, so I don't know if it is any good or not. Up to this point (I'm still a newbie) my editing tasks have been solved by MPEG2CUT, VirtualDub and VIrtualDubMod, and NeroVision Express.

I'm interested in what more exerienced users recommend. I'm looking myself at DVD-Lab and TMPGENC for more powerful editing tools.

3. Stevenz

Stevenz Member

The files are all play in media player once captured and play perfectly fine, its when it is converted it is somewhere in the converting to vob? and burning

4. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Instead of Ulead, try something like Nero Vision Express to convert the AVI, create a menu and write the disc.

Or use TMPGEnc to convert the file from AVI to MPEG2 and then either TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVD Lab to create the DVD files.

I've used Pinnacle to do all the steps (capturing through to a burnt disc) and that works well. A little slow... but lots of flashy things you can do. :)

DVD-Lab is not an editor. It converts from MPEG2 to VOB, creates menus, adds chapter points, etc, but no video editing.

TMPGEnc can do some editing... see the Software section.

Adder.

5. Stevenz

Stevenz Member

ok Thanks for that advice, I think I have Vision Express on the CD that came with the DVD writer that also contains Nero 6.

Is there a type of disk that is best for writing to that is most popular for the average dvd player?

I have read in a few places that no one disk will work on every machine but want to go with something that has alot more chances than another

Sorry dont know all the technical talk so am probably not making to much sense

6. jrisch

jrisch Member

A last tip from another newbie, if you're using NeroVision Express, which I do all the time, make sure you have the latest version, which is probably not what you got with the recorder.

I use Datawrite Classic 8X disks on an NEC3500 drive and haven't had a coaster yet. They seem to work in most modern DVD players, even very cheap ones; but not in old players. My take is that player technology moved very fast and even good name players like Sony of a couple of years ago hiccup on recordings, even if on high quality disks. Difficult to guarantee that a recording will work.

Regards, jrisch

7. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Hard question to answer. I suggest you browse the dvd-media forum. You'll find lots of conflicting and confusing information there.

8. ray123

ray123 Guest

Stevenz, you don't happen to be using Ulead MovieFactory 2SE? I'm trying to use it for my miniDV footage. I did use it for creating a menu scheme for my converted analogue home movie (I used a Panasonic DVD Recorder for the analogue conversion but didn't like the Pana menu) and the DVD produced was great.

Now that I have upgraded to a digital videocamera, whenever I capture the miniDV with MF2SE, it appears the AVI created is fine but the conversion to VOB shows the terrible white horizontal lines (I call these jaggies) on moving objects eg when panning the camera. Maybe its the Ulead software. When I capture with Ulead VideoStudio 7SE, and use MF2SE to create a menu, it appears better but then create new problems eg the movie would play but there's a noticable pause between chapters/scenes and occassionally the movie would drop back into the main menu page instead of continuing the movie proper. Very frustrating. I've still got 8 hours of footage to convert to DVD. Any helpers soon?

Thanks

9. Stevenz

Stevenz Member

I was using that ulead movie factory program to convert it from dv to vob, I have since used nero vision express and it has worked fine.

10. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Good to hear Stevenz.

Ray123, its the software causing your problems. Try something else for creating menus. (See my previous message)

Adder.

11. subiksha

subiksha Member

try to capture with the editing program u are using.
    Match all your project settings with capture setting.
    take cre of bloody field order.
    Ntsc:eek:dd first first
    pal :Even first.
    u got clear dvd guys.