1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd authoring help

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by crandor, Oct 15, 2002.

1. crandor

crandor Member

question... i have authored several dvd discs and they have worked fine.. but when i play them in a standard DVD player the output on a TV seems to be clipped at the top and bottom.. can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same, and what they did to correct the problem..

i am encoding divx avi's to mpg2 dvd's using tmpgenc 2.5 and then using ulead dvd moviestudio to author and burn...

i use the standard settings for the program.. if i try to modify the output size from 720x480 to say 720x448 when i try to author the disc i get an error saying that the mpeg2 file isnt encoded to the dvd standard.

2. cpukiller

cpukiller Guest

You may want to try using DVD Maestro and DVD Gear PRO to burn the DVDs, both are excellent and Gear PRO will tell you if there are errors in your DVD file structure.

3. Zhadoom

Zhadoom Member

What are the settings for tmpgenc? This could mess up the aspect ratio of the encode?

4. crandor

crandor Member

my settings for tmpgenc..

video stream setting
    stream type: MPEG-2 Video
    Size: 720 x 480
    aspect ratio: 4:3 display
    Frame rate: 29.97
    Rate controle mode: Constant Bit Rate
    Bitrate 3000
    VBV buffer 224 kb
    profile & level Main Profle & Main Level (MP@ML)
    Video Format: NTSC
    encode mode: interlace
    YUV format 4:2:0
    DC component precision: 9 bit
    Motion Search percision: High quality (slow)

i leave the rest alone... for instance..

video source setting
    video source type Non-interlace (progressive)
    field order: bottom filed first
    source aspect ratio: 1:1 (VGA)

video arrange method:full screen (keep aspect ratio)..

i am sure i am doing something wrong... but i cant find information anywhere... =\

thanks in advanc e..

5. Zhadoom

Zhadoom Member

Your video settings are OK, but you sometimes have to change the advanced settings depending on your original movie.
    What is the aspect ratio of your original? Is it 16:9 or 4:3?
    I do like to get them to match the original in this screen and the video settings also.

6. crandor

crandor Member

the original i am working with are divx encoded avi's

width 640 height 480
    audio 128kbps mpeg3
    video 23 frames per sec 125kbps 24 bit divxmpg4 v3...

so i am using tmpgenc to convert them..

7. mojorisin

mojorisin Member

make sure you select the correct aspect ratio

for the movie 4:3 and 16:9
    also if your original avi is 23fps this is a NTSC film and not movie which is 29fps

valid dvd standards

720x480 for NTSC movies

720x 576 for PAL movies

Last edited: Oct 17, 2002
  8. Zhadoom

Zhadoom Member

The problem could be the fact that the movies are 640 x 480 and Tmpgenc is converting them to 720x480. Also if the framerate is 23 and you are converting it to NTSC which is 29. something, you'll likely experience prorblems here unless you modify certain settings in tmpgenc.
    I feel that at this point you should under teh advanced settings change the aspect ratio to match the type of movie it is:
    4:3 for full frame
    16:9 for widescreen
    and try that.

9. wodsoa

wodsoa Member

I had this problem also. Right now I am re-encoding the video to Centered (keep aspect ratio). I dunno if it'll work, but i'll keep my fingers crossed!

10. crandor

crandor Member

here is some things i found helpful... so you know.. i will try other things.. and keep you posted..

if the anime film allowed me to actually encode it at 720x480 (some failed to be converted but i think this was an audio stream conversion failure not a video stream conversion failure)..

how i got it to fit on a standard NTSC dispaly (tv etc) was to do 2 things

first go in to tmpeg under the output settings and pick the check box marked clip frame.. and then went in and made sure i didnt change the settings.. i.e. left it at 0 0 0 0 (top bottom right left) and then picked centered (keep aspect ratio).. when i just went to the standard window and picked centered (keep aspect ratio) it didnt completely work for me... i dont know why...

the other things i want to try for the videos that wouldnt convert properly.. is to use the 3:2 reverse pulldown.. which keeps the film at 23fps and converts it to 29+ at play time from the 23fps stream, and do the clipping.. i think this will help me out alot... i will keep you all updated..