1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD back up - swap magic

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by fiapop, Nov 14, 2004.

1. fiapop

fiapop Member

I have a question. I just backed up my original copy of nba live 2005 onto a verbatim dvd-r at 2x using dvd decrypter.

Do you need a mod chip, or JUST the swap magic disc to play the game? or do u need both?

because i have a No Solder modchip, and swap magic disc... and when i try to load, it has red border around it, after couple mins.

also... if i press and hold eject button for 2 sec... it does NOT eject the CD like it should, so i think my modchip is defective.

but my question is do u need mod chip and swap magic, to play dvd backups... or just the swap magic is enough?

also... my ps2 is version 4 NTSC,,, if i change booktype to a dvd+R .... or if i burn using dvd+r... would that solve problem? but i heard that v4 dont read +R.

thx.

2. fiapop

fiapop Member

i REALLY need some help.

3. fiapop

fiapop Member

bump... sorry for this.. but im very frustrated... and have spent over 80 bucks and havent got a single game to work. and i would like to get it to work.

any help is appreciated.

4. fiapop

fiapop Member

re phrase questioN:
    for dvd backups... are modchips or flip tops required?? along with the swap magic disc.. or only swap magic is needed? and u can eject regularly and insert it regularly at the magic screen?????

5. SPIKISH

SPIKISH Guest

research is KEY

6. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Sounds like you either installed your chip wrong, or its defective.

7. fiapop

fiapop Member

im gonna try reinstalling it...
    but.... do i NEED the modchip to play DVD backups?? or only for cd backups?

8. loughary

loughary Member

Well I don’t how much I can help with the no solder modchip, but I’ll tell you what I have and how it works. I use the fliptop option with swap magic boot DVD/CD and then I flip the top and put the backup game in press the X on the game pad and it plays.

And as you have stated the red border isn’t good typically that has something to do with the way that the game was backed up or what type and brand of media you are using and what software you use to make your backups.

I have a version 3 PS2 and it only likes DVD+ for games and certain brands of media. I’ve had better luck with some software for backing up then others. I use a software program from http://www.vso-software.fr/photodvd.htm called CopytoDVD that works well for me. I would recommend trying a different way of making the backup because that is probably the problem.

9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Yes, either a no soler chip, slide card, or fliptop (plus swap magic discs for all options).

10. fiapop

fiapop Member

ok thx sly. then taht is my problem... since my mod chip is defective... it doesnt eject it like it should, the only way to eject games is the regular way... which disabilitates the modchip of its function.

im gonna try re installing... if doesnt work... i will buy flip top cover.

ps: what u recommend? flip top or slide card? flip top seems simpler, and only like 5 bucks extra or sol

11. davidleal

davidleal Member

hey i was wondering if you need to solder the slide card in the ps2? or if not how it works? thanks for all help.

12. fiapop

fiapop Member

no u dont.... slided card... u slide it under the cd tray a certain way. search on the internet for it.. there are a bunch of tutorials out there for it.

13. ozzy1

ozzy1 Regular member

No you dont it is used to open the ps2 door.
    It's the only mod that you don't have to take the case of your ps2 to use.
    Can a mod change my status to member about 110 posts

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  14. davidleal

davidleal Member

Thanks do you know of any good cheap websites to get them from? And would you recommend it? Thanks again for all of your help its greatly appreciated

15. fiapop

fiapop Member

bro... i would recommend i think flip top.

i bought a no solder mod chip... and its not working... i seemed to install it correctly.

but im leanin more towards flip top then slide card. slide card takes too long... flip top after u install it... its easier then the regular eject.

16. davidleal

davidleal Member

wouldn't the flip top be way more harder to install though? but could you please send me the site name that you got yours from? i just want to compare prices with certain items including thew magic discs. Yo but do you need the no solder mod chip for the discs to work or just the slide?

17. fiapop

fiapop Member

u need the Swap Magic disc + slide card or flip top or no solder chip.

i got mine at www.modchipstore.com

and yes it would be harder to INSTALL... since slide card no need for installation... BUT AFTER... its faster to use.

18. loughary

loughary Member

Again, I can only recommend what I’ve done. I looked at the solder options as well as the no solder options and chose to go with the fliptop. Yes you do have to take your PS2 apart but it’s really not that difficult. And you only have to do it once then it’s as easy as pushing your eject button to change games you just flip the top insert game done.

Plus, I’ve heard that you can cause damage to the drive with using the slide card if done incorrectly.

I bought mine from http://ps2fliptop.net

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004