1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD BACKUP---------------Best Program??

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bigniggy, Jan 11, 2004.

1. bigniggy

bigniggy Member

I USED to use dvd x copy but it just suddenly stopped working. I just get teh same error everytime. What is the easiest way to backup my dvd movies, what program??

Thanks.

2. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Download DVD Shrink 3.1.1

It's free and fairly easy to use.

Had you done ANY type of search in the Newbie forum you'd have seen what most folks use.

3. pwav

pwav Member

1. DVD Decrypter

2. IFO Edit

3. Pinnacle Instant Copy CD/DVD

4. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

1. DVD Decrypter
    2. DVD2One
    3. Nero 6 Ultra

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink

RecordNow 4.5

Nothing but smiles here.

6. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

I use DVD Decryptor, DVD2One and CopytoDVD. Works fine for me.

7. stunn611

stunn611 Regular member

[bold] hey, since u hav dvd x copy, i suggest u upgradin it to dvd x copy express. its free. dvd x copy express is very easy to use. and it copy the whole movie and menus to 1 dvd.

8. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

If your used to using xcopy I'd say use dvd shrink, an excelent free program with many features, with the newest versions if you have nero installed shrink can burn the dvd's for you, I have tried a few choice dvds that dvd2one and even ifoedit messed up(the ifoedit part was probably my fault) but shrink backed up the disc in style.

9. jvillar

jvillar Member

DVD Shrink. Easy to use and it's FREE. Then burn with Nero.

10. grovesej

grovesej Guest

DVD Decrypter v3.1.9.0
    and
    Pinnacle Instant Copy 8

I haven't found a better combination for burning only the movie (without all the extra trash) almost any DVD-R.

11. Shoey

Shoey Guest

1) DVD Shrink 3.14 (encode dvd movie)
    2) DVD Shrink 3.14 (burn movie)
    3) DVD Shrink 3.14 is FREE

If dvd movie is less than 4.7 gig(or less) I use DVD Decrypter and run iso mode>extract>burn iso.

Shoey :)

12. rainier

rainier Guest

I don't think there's a single best program. Personally, I use a specific program depending on the situation. For movie only,
    1)For movies under 10% compression, I just use Dvd xcopy xpress - very fast, 7-15 minutes to rip/compress, nero to burn - 23 minutes. Xcopy warning easily bypassed using Ifoedit.
    2)For movies with 11 to 20 percent compression approx, I rip entire dvd with Dvd Decrypter, use Dvd shrink to reauthor, strip extras, extra soundtracks, still frame the end credits, no compression on the video, save to hard drive, compress with dvd2one, burn with Nero. (I use Dvd2one here because Shrink always undercompresses on my computer!)
    3)For movies with 21-40% compression approx, I'll use method 2) above except compress and burn with Pinnacle Instant copy for better quality compression. Also, with Instant copy 8 being able to do movie only, you can go straight from decryptor rip to IC compress, bypassing Shrink reauthor if you don't want to bother with end credits/still frame.
    4)Over 40% compression or approching 3 hours, I'll just split to two discs using Dvd shrink.

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

You're 100% correct m8! Although there are the "most recommended" programs for dvd backups (VCD, SVCD, DVD+r(W).

Most recommended DVD Rippers:
    DVD Decrypter
    SmartRipper
    Most recommended encoders to backup dvd to VCD& SVCD.
    CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder
    Canopus ProCoder
    TMPGEnc
    Most recommended programs to backup DVD to DVD+R(W) if over 4.7 gig
    DVD Shrink
    DVD2One
    Most recommended programs to burn your dvd movie backups to DVD+R(W)
    Nero Burning ROM
    DVD Shrink 3.14 (free)
    burnatonce 0.99b (free)
    DeepBurner (free)
    CloneDVD
    ======================================================
    I'm sure I've left out some great programs like TMPGEnc DVD Author, many others.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hey Shoey, long time mate.

Anyway, i recommend using Shrink for just about anything. it has all the features needed, its free and im never wrong lol ;-)

15. pwav

pwav Member

When compressing the movie to fit in DVD-R 4.7 Gig when the movie exceeds 4.4 Gigs the image quality is of importance.

I use Pinnacle Instant Copy CD/DVD and compression quality is very good. However, compression is awfully slow.

I tried DVD2One and it is much faster and good image quality compression.

16. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

hey people

why dont you just use CloneDVD and AnyDVD..... yes yes yes some of us are more hands on instead of a little click and youre done..... i admit that fact but dont sum of u just prefer to sit back and let it do the job (occasionally, of course) i used to use DVDShrink, DVD xcopy both express and platinum (DVD Xcopy Express & platinum are really crap btw) and a whole other bunch but i tell you what i am using both CloneCD (alcoholer, clonyxxL) and cloneDVD and they havent let me down.... for a 7 gig dvd with cloneDVD over all it take me half an hour (about 33 mins to be precise) to back up the movie and the menus (dont bother with special features tho.... who dus?)

why make it hard on yaself ;-)

as rainier rightly said there is no single best program but this is what works for me, try a few things an see what suits you

l8r
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Hey! if life was perfect
    What would be the point?[/small]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
  17. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I'm the lazy type. Direct, with AnyDVD to InstantCopy 8, Movie Only. Reader and burner on same channel.

18. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I've tested DVD2One vs. DVD Shrink 3.14 and the "encoding" time= equal and the dvd movie video playback is equal. DVD Shrink is FREE, DVD2One isn't!

19. jonnydoe.

jonnydoe. Member

Yeah thumbs up on DVD Shrink and Nero to burn in UDF mode, usually at half max disc speed just to be safe..

20. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Well let me stir the pot a little. InstantCopy 8 "encoding" time, longer. Video quality compared to Shrink and DVD2One, Better. Sometimes it's worth a few bucks for Better.