1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Backup Help!

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by SSJNaruto, Apr 30, 2005.

1. SSJNaruto

SSJNaruto Regular member

I just got a new dvd burner(SONY DVDRW DRU-720A), and wanted to know which media is best to use for burning dvd games? I tryed using sony dvd-r with dvd decrypter and my burner supports 1x - 16x and the discs says 1x - 8x speeds, but when I go to burn them it says the writing speeds supported are 4x 6x and 8x. is there some way to make it burn at 1x or 2x speed? If not, which speed is best for recording the discs? I have Swap magic v3.6 and yes I used the right swap disc lol

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  2. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

I think the speeds depend on the media you are using. I tend to find burning at x4 is ok i never have skipping problems or anything like that on my version 7 ps2. I use Alcohol 120% & dvd decrypter to burn my ps2 games to disc.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

Great burner! I have a DRU-700A and love it.
    I use Phillips 8X DVD-R all the time and they work great with the Sony burner
    I set DVD Decrypter to 1X but it burns at 3.8X-5X and all the games work flawless

4. SSJNaruto

SSJNaruto Regular member

thnx ill have to try the philips. i found out that 2 of the copys i made actually did work.....but they ran like 10 times slower then the actual game. It took about 5 minutes for the GTA san andreas screen to come up and it was going in super slowmo. i couldnt even get to the loading screen! lol. By the way, how long does it take for a dvdr disc to load from the black screen?

5. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

@SSJNaruto

what version of dvd decrypter are you using?

6. SSJNaruto

SSJNaruto Regular member

I think the latest version, cuzz when i go to hit check for updates, it says your version is up to date.

Is there a read setting that i need to change? The minimum speed i can burn at is 4x speed. I tryed usin the phillips dvd-r discs and the same thing happens just like the sony discs, either the game loads very, extremely slow or it doesnt load at all. Should i read from the same drive that i burn, cuzz i havent tryed that yet. I just got a new dvd burner and my dvd drive is like 4 years old that i use to read with.Ill try reading with my new drive instead this time and c if it works. If that doesnt work im pretty sure its my ps2, cuzz i have trouble reading the dvd games without using those d-skin covers.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

the best way to back them up is to use ISO read and put it on your hard drive, which is hopefully running on an NTFS system ( it allows you a higher file size limit), and then do an ISO write and select the MDS file and burn to a disc. I never tryed to copy from one drive to another, but i know that it works from the hard drive.

8. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

i just noticeg you never specifically said what program you were using to copy the games.i just assume you were using just dvd decrpter.so,what programs are you using?

9. SSJNaruto

SSJNaruto Regular member

Well, actually I said up top, which program i use, I use dvd decrypter. Is it ok to burn the iso or is it the mds file? Ive been usin the iso file.

10. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

shit,sometimes i overread stuff,sorry( dvd decrypter usually gets highlited).

but,alot of people claim decrpyter wont allow them to select certain speeds.i was seeing if it had anything to do with the version or the drive itself.since "steimy" was able to select 1x with the same drive,it made sense it might be your version of decrypter.the latest version is 3.5.4.0,you can check the version by opening up decrypter and selecting the help option then select "about dvd decrypter".

11. SSJNaruto

SSJNaruto Regular member

Well, i think the problem lies within my ps2, It has trouble reading dvd type games. Other wise i dunno whats the problem. Could it be the speed that the disc is reading at on my pc?

12. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

do you mean you have trouble reading original dvd ps2 games too?if so you need to clean your lens.

13. SSJNaruto

SSJNaruto Regular member

Well, that was still a no-go, I tryed cleaning my lense, but it still wont play the dvd game copys or game originals.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  14. screamdud

screamdud Member

sry to bother u guys but i have a question, should you burn the iso or the mds file to the dvd-r? Does it matter which one you use??

15. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

if you use alcohol and a cotton swap you get a better cleanse,if you didnt do it that way already.

what version is your ps2? did you ever adjust the lens before? and did you buy or get the ps2 used?

if your ps2 is reading original games badly,you have to fix that first before you burn and test games on it.in the meantime,you could try and find someone with a properly working ps2 to test your games on with your swap magic

16. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

@screamdud

burn the mds.they are both gonna give you a copy of the game.but you gotta figure there must be some important reason for a mds iso.

17. SSJNaruto

SSJNaruto Regular member

I have a slim PS2 and I bought it new. I tryed cleaning the lense with glass cleaner

18. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

do you have a fliptop or slim tool?just trying to see how accessible your lens is.i dont know exactly how you cleaned it with the glass cleaner

your ps2 is kinda new to have heavy dirt buildup and to have laser going bad.if you have a flip top and the read problems occured after you put the flip top on you might have installed the flip top improperly.since you got it new and never adjusted the lens there is no chance the lens was adjusted improperly.by any chance did you drop the ps2 while you were playing a game?or bumped it hard by mistake?

the advice im giving you might seem useless and pointless,but it is necessary to get your ps2 working right.the copies you made might work if your ps2 worked properly.do you know someone else with a good running ps2?you could use their ps2 to try your backups to see if they work.

19. SSJNaruto

SSJNaruto Regular member

I thought that the thing that reads the discs was the laser or is that a cover for the laser? I was going to try to play copies on my friends slim ps2 next time i see him. I use the Magic switch tool with swap magic. Stupid question but, have you looked at the slim ps2 when the lid is open?

20. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

i dont know much about slims.do they eject the disc.anyway ive just seen some pictures of a slim.and the glass lens is the laser lens.try a cotton swap with alcohol on it.dip a cotton swap in alcohol,squeeze out excess and wipe the lens a few times very gently.then use the dry side of swap and wipe dry a few times(dont forget,very gently).then try.if that doesnt work see if you installed your slim tool properly at http://www.swapmagic3.com/Magic_Switch.htm