1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Backup - PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by wgcho, Dec 16, 2003.

1. wgcho

wgcho Member

Hi,
    For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to backup some DVDs to various recorders and media but none of them seems to work consistently.

[Recorders]
    SONY DRU-503A
    Memorex Dual Format 8x

[Media]
    Memorex 4x DVD-R
    Fuji 1x DVD-R
    Memorex 4x DVD+R
    Memorex 4x DVD+RW

[DVD Player]
    Sony NS700V
    Sony DVP-S9000ES
    Sony DVP-7700

[Softwares]
    DVDXCopy 1.4 and 1.5
    DVDShrink
    DVDDecryptor
    Nero Express (Burning ROM)

Movies I've tested:
    Down with Love
    Pirates of the Caribbean

I had some limited (inconsistent) success with Memorex Recorder and Fuji 1x DVD-R, but never succeeded with any 4x media.
    Although I was able to burn a 4x disc with DVDShrink+Nero in a lower quality (DVD-5 ?), my goal is to back up the whole movie in the best quality available.

I still can't figure out if it is a recorder, media or software problem.
    Has anyone figured out how to back up a DVD movie using Memorex 8x recorder and play it in a Sony player?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. DVDLabs

DVDLabs Member

Stop using that silly software. I use DVD-Decrypter 3.1.7.0 (to rip), Power DVD 5 (to check audio streams required), Image Tool (to create the image to write, Stomp RecordNow MAX v4.50 (To write the image to disk - Nero wont do it correctly), Demontools v3.33 (to mount the image), dvd2one1.3.0 (Latest Version 1.3)(to rip out the film and audio required). If you need more help contact me via email. help@dvdlabs.co.uk

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yes, change form the Nero software, to Veritas Record Now Deluxe, or the software mentioned by DVDlab. There are user guides in my signature.

4. wgcho

wgcho Member

Thanks for the info.
    Yesterday, I finally found a way to make it work. It seems like the players would take anything authored with DVDShrink. So, here is the sequence that I am using.

1. Rip the DVD into 2 disks using DVDXCopy (I copy the content of the temporary directory after it rips the DVD and terminate the DVDXCopy program)
    2. 'Load' and 'Backup' using DVDShrink.
    3. Burn the disks with Nero Express.

My goal was to create high quality DVD backups with all the extra features and menu items. It takes a little longer than a straight rip-and-burn, but seems to be able to consistently make excellent copies with both of my recorders in hand (Pioneer A03, Memorex 8x) and all the DVD+-R media that I've tested.

Thanks!

5. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

So is the final product still 2 disks? Or do you compress using dvd shrink? Cheers.

Bailey

6. wgcho

wgcho Member

They are two discs. As I said, my goal was to have a perfect backup. It was relatively easier to get a one disc, compressed backup with DVDShrink and Nero.

However, after I posted yesterday, I am having trouble with the second disc of Pirates of the Caribbean...