1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd backup

Discussion in 'Software discussion' started by rtrg, Apr 6, 2017.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have an issue I need help with. All advice welcome. First a little background. HP elite 800 desktop, win 7 32 bit, vlc 2.2, potplayer 1.7.Both play encrypted and non encrypted discs. Both record non protected discs. Neither record protected discs. I need a soltion. I have 3 in mind.

1 A FREE dvd decryption app that will pull protection from the disc and save it to a common folder, videos, in a common format, AVI, MP4, MKV, WAV, or others. The selected file would then play/record in the player the app is tied to, vlc or potplayer which are the only 2 recorders I have.

2 The above solution that will allow me to send the file to vlc or pp of my choice.

3 A decrypter that works on the fly. Decrypting dvds and allowing vlc and pp to play and record them from the dvd drive, "E", in my case. DVD43 works with 32 bit systems only. The app insists that I have a 64 bit system and displays an error. It worked in XP but NOT 7.

I need a FREE solution, free to download/install, free to use indefinately.. WINXDVD, ANYDVD, AIMERSOFT, SHRINK, FAB, are NOT free, trials only. solutions please. On the fly is preferred. One that works on both 32/64. Any win os.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I will be the first of many to say that older programs that are no longer updated may not be able to rip backups of new dvd's.

They all are FREE.
    DVD Shrink
    DVD Decrypter
    RatDVD
    SmartRipper

Years ago I used a combination of DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, running DVD43, and burning with ImgBurn.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Thanks. I tried 3 of the 4 but was delivered a TRIAL or PAID versions. I do use dvd43 alone. so far it works even though it is not supposed to on win 7 despite it is 32 bit. New issue is that copy/paste in YOU TUBE is not always available, either grayed out or missing. Solution?

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I'm pretty sure that on this one you are referring to DVDShrink. The link I just gave is to the actual DVDShrink site. There was a version of the program that came out years ago that tried to make money from it. Make sure to do a complete uninstall of DVDShrink and then install the ACTUAL DVDShrink.
    Could you give me a little better description of "copy/paste in YouTube". Is this from your browser, a program that you are running like VideoGrabby, or a browser plugin?

Mez likes this.
  5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Your gonna have to get your hands dirty if all you want is free,this requires a little bit of elbow grease on your part,that means good luck finding an all in one that does it all & is free so:

dvdfab is FREE & always has been FREE to RIP there is NO trial.for dvd dl's all you need is the last version of dvdfab 8

dvdshrink (is here in software section,it also can rip most dvd's but not all that's what dvdfab is for).This is used to extract the movie & trim the front & end credits,doing so in turn reduces the junk that requires re-coding there by improving the end quality of sd movies when encoded

vidcoder-there's enough info on the web or here or at videohelp.com if you want anything other than mp4 or mkv,i've chosen this as i prefer mkv & is my encoder of choice (its based off of handbrake),i like this app as i can set the final output size & it's a bit smaller than hb & perhaps a little more hands on or not ! always remember to make sure it's set for 2 passes & no turbo 1st pass,unless your uisng a settings which grays out that option

Once you learn how to use the above programs & set them up & do things manually you'll get a much better quality output file than leaving it to automation & vidcoder can batch encode

Finally windows 7 has a free version of xp called Windows Virtual PC,this as the name suggests allows running xp 32bit in a virtual pc on top of win 7 x64,this may solve the dvd43 issue

if you can't find it i may have a copy,tho i can't guarantee it as the drive i have with my software had an electrical failure & as yet i haven't got round to sending it in with the donor drive to the recovery people

Mez likes this.
  6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

NZ--- Thanks for the info. I was able to find a free version of WINXDVD as opposed to PLATINUM. As a test I ripped to dvds, one from 1994 one from 2006. 94 worked, 06 did not. The paid activate/register came up instead of the progress bar. Also the ripped file auto opened in VLC and was both playable AND recordable at the same time, as a dvd is. By the way the 06 dvd IS recordable WITHOUT decrypting! Mystery to me. I want to rip all my dvds to files so I can toss them and save them as files. Put them in a fraw and use the hhd instead. Does DVDFAB fix this ripping issue?

As an aside what is the proper name as a stand alone black box that reads and writes to and from a hhd which includes rca type in/out ports, coax in/out port, with or without a tuner that can be ignored?

7. syxguns

syxguns Active member

The free version of DVD Fab is a little behind on updates to the paid version, but works very well. It may not be able to handle newer releases, but should take care of older releases. I think that as an update to the paid version gets updated the free version gets the updates the previous paid version had. Like I said, I haven't used it for years, but that is the way it use to work.

Maybe this guide will help you out.

8. sikosrus

sikosrus Member

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

DVD Fab I still think is the best option. DVDFab link. Scroll down to where is says "Free Stuff" and download the DVDFab HD Decrypter. It's free and works like a charm. It's updated just not with the latest that the pro version has. Should rip just about everything for you.

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yeah some dvd's don't have protection or it has protection that is so weak its irrelevant..lol..

Regarding your last paragraph sounds like a stand alone dvd player/recorder,tho i don't know about whether they have coaxial as i don't use stand alone's.I decided to use a computer as a game/entertainment system so it pretty much does everything.

There is another option you may want to consider,it will also reduce a lot of fluffing around & that's to rip all the dvd's to uncompressed iso format,this is literally an intact dvd as a single file.The downside is it takes up more space than just the movie & a few extra's

My method suggestion for what you want to achieve
    Use fab to rip all dvd's as uncompressed to the hard drive (you have option of an auto named folder or an iso).
    Once that's done decide how you want to progress.
    1-Either strip the main movie with shrink & trim or not trim.Select audio & subs & execute
    Use handbrake or vidcoder on the output that shrink created to make mkv,mp4,avi etc (i think handbrake makes avi,tho i'd steer clear of avi as it's not the good visual wise)
    ...........................................................................................................................................................................................
    2-Or use handbrake on the ripped dvd's & it should pull the movie & convert directly.Tho it means you'll get the intro crap at the beginning of the movie & then the end credits when movie finishes.I can't stand that stuff which is why i trim with shrink
    ...........................................................................................................................................................................................

11. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

My goal is simply to rip the dvd to the hard drive then send them to the VIDEOS folder then open them in VLC or POTPLAYER so I can watch and record them at the same time. Both can do that from the DVD itself. This is how I intend to make the dvd collection irelivant. I found a FREE app from PAVTUBE INC> So far evey DVD I have used was successful. Thanks for the help. I found FAB to be difficult to use and not always successful.

12. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Update. I found a PAVTUBE FREE app that does everything I want. My goal is to rip a dvd to the hhd then open it in VLC while I record it at the same time as opposed to doing the recording from the dvd alone. In this way the dvd lives as a file in the VIDEOS folder and in VLC as as well.

13. syxguns

syxguns Active member

all is good then, you seem to be on a direction you would like to take and all is working for you. I consider this thread dead.

14. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

one last ? does the CD copy of the WINX PLATINUM app include a license key tied to the CD or the app? enter key and activate? I ordered a CD and will find out the hard way.

15. syxguns

syxguns Active member

$36 bucks seems a little extreme to not even allow me a trial for 30 days! Message sent to you rtrg.

16. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

try 2 apps from PAVTUBE, dvdaid and free dvd decryter ultimate. Both free and well organised. Default is AVI in the VIDEOS folder. Open in any player of your choice. Default player chosen by app.

17. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I don't really need the new stuff. I have premium ripping, and when and if it fails (before an update) I fall back to the free DVDFab Decrypter.

I also don't record to AVI. MP4 has better quality and is more compatible. My DVD's I don't convert at all. If there is a section of a DVD that I needed to convert to add to one of my Camtasia Studio's project, that is easy but in the end it will be converted to MP4.

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Agree mp4 would be far better to use than avi for quality of picture,especially from data off of dvd's.If your players RTG can play mp4 it would better to do so

19. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

pavtube ultimate free is fine for me. when I try to record a dvd in VLC it displays an error most of the time. I found that most of my discs DO need decryption/ripping. if the disc is not protected than the app tells me so and I can record with VLC. if it is I run the app and then record in VLC. as for AVI that is the default but there is mp4 and others I can choose. I am a casual user and I need things simple.

20. Mez

Mez Active member

rtrg, you obviously have a mind of your own. Scorp has close to 15 yrs under his belt. Doing it that long, he must have picked up something, most learned from hindsight. My library has hundreds of videos that can't be purchased or rented anymore. Often the new version must be used instead. The originals are classics the new versions are not. When you can buy 2 TB disks for about $50 at least once a year, means it costs me 10 cents to store a movie. I have most movies I would ever want to see sitting on my shelf.