1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD backups not playing on standalone player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bkbyrne, Jan 26, 2005.

1. bkbyrne

bkbyrne Member

Hi Guys,

Recently bought a Philips DVD player. WHen I use DVD COPY EXPRESS i can burn and play on my machine no problem.

I can burn with DVD shrink/Dvd Decrypter and Nero and the movie will play on my pc but not on my standalone.

What is the 321 product doing that allows the backup play on the dvd player that Shrink/Decrypter and Nero are not?????

Thanks,

Barry

2. jfk329

jfk329 Guest

are you ripping the disc directly to your hd???

3. bkbyrne

bkbyrne Member

Hi JFK,

Yeah I rip direct to the harddrive. Sometimes I rip using DVD Shrink and then copy the files into DVD Copy Express. Doin it this way always plays om my standalone. But its a bit of a nuisance and dvd copy express always deletes the files after burning.

SO my problem appears to be with the burning rather than the ripping.

??

thanks,

Bkbyrne

4. jfk329

jfk329 Guest

maybe it could be some kind of region problem. maybe try DVD region free, seems to work for me.

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

region free is for computers, not standalones. Shrink will rip to region free in its normal set up.

Are you using the same discs??

6. colw

colw Active member

This question is one that has been asked and answered many hundred of times - try the search button at top of page for some answers.

Problem invariably due to:
    1. Poor quality media - Ritek, Verbatim or TY's suggested.
    2. Burning too fast (max 4X suggested).
    3. The use of labels on burnt DVD's.
    4. Media incompatible with standalone player.

Suggest try on other brand standalones - el cheapo Chinese players tend to be more tolerant of burned DVD's.

7. bkbyrne

bkbyrne Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses.

Firstly I always use the same discs to burn too. I have attempted to burn a movie with dvd xpress on a philips DVD+RW it plays perfectly on my standalone.

I then take the same disk and use dvd shrink to rip and dvd decrypter/Nero to burn. It plays on pc but not on standalone.

I then take same disc....rip the files with DVD shrink and store them in a folder on my hdrive. I launch dvd x press and insert a movie. I rip this movie. when complete and dvdxpress asks me to insert a blank disc for copying..i go into the output folder it has created delte the files and drop and drag the original dvd shrink files into it. Then put my DVD+rw in. It works perfectly on my machine. Only problem is dvdxpress deletes these files when they are burned.

So as you see so long as I burn with 321 Dvd express it plays fine....even files ripped with dvd shrink. So I don't think the proble is with the standard of media or region codes.....its a strange one....might just have to call it one of thos things...and continue with DVD express......its just more convenient to use DVD SHrink or DVD decrypter.

Cheers

Bkbyrne

8. xp235

xp235 Member

I had same problem with shrink-nero 6606 so I tried using the nero63125 and it worked as usual. There is something wrong with the 66xx updates. This is explained in other forums about nero.