1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd backups - plays in stand-alone, but not htpc...

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by johnb4467, Dec 7, 2004.

1. johnb4467

johnb4467 Member

Hey there everyone!
    Well, as the subject header suggests...I've been having a long time problem -- my dvd backups will play perfectly in my ancient stand-alone pioneer dv-525 dvd player...yet don't 'fully' work in either my htpc [toshiba drive I believe], or my regular pc [in either the pioneer slot dvd slot drive or my sony dru510a burner]. What HAPPENS is that when playing on the computers, if there is no stopping, rewinding, fast forwarding, or skipping of chapters BEYOND around half-way through the movie...then it plays fine...but anyting beyond that -- then I get an error from powerdvd saying that the disc is unreadable & have to start the movie over.
    Like I said, it works fine in my ancient DVD player...so I'm assuming that it must be some windows setting or so forth? I have used boht +r and -r media from different brands [ritek, tdk, etc...] and all give the same results. I am using xcopy platinum in xpress mode.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...as this has been a constant and annoying problem -- thank you!

2. tonsofpcs

tonsofpcs Member

3. colw

colw Active member

Are you by any chance using labels on your burnt DVD's? Media choice seems OK but labels can be responsible for some of the problems you are experiencing.

4. johnb4467

johnb4467 Member

hmm, no labels...just go ol' sharpie permenant marker. ;)
    Quite puzzling, no?
    Haha, well you seem like a sharp group...so please keep the suggestions coming in! :)
    For a computer dvd drive [in hardware settings, or say for instance, powerdvd settings] is there a 'fault tolerance' setting before giving a 'unable to read' error...that might be all it needs...maybe?

5. tonsofpcs

tonsofpcs Member

Do the backups play properly in the drive that made them?

6. johnb4467

johnb4467 Member

No, oddly enough, they don't allow you to chapter skip/fast forward/rewind, etc properly past half-way through movies on any type of computer dvd drive...though they have worked fine in any and every stand-alone dvd player I've tried them odd...which makes it even more odd, considering that most people have their problems WITH stand-alone drives.
    The whole reason I'm asking this, so you all don't think, "Why the hell does he want to play it on his computer instead of a dvd player?" is that my home theater, screen, etc, is hooked up to a htpc [home theater pc, sure you guys already knew that]...so that's why I'm trying to get things working properly with a pc.
    Thanks again for all your help everyone!
    John

7. tonsofpcs

tonsofpcs Member

I really wasn't wondering why you would play it on a computer, there are numerous reasons.

If you make a new backup, will it play on the computer that burnt it, in the drive that burnt it immediately after burning?

8. johnb4467

johnb4467 Member

it will 'play', but if you try to move to a chapter past half-way through the movie, or try to shuttle forward, backward, etc...then it will give a read error. That is pretty much the case with all of them. If I put in a backup and just let it 'play' all the way through, then it will play fine...but if I put one in, and say, want to skip to a chapter past half way...or 'resume' a movie that is past half-way, etc...then the read error comes into play.
    Odd, no?!

9. tonsofpcs

tonsofpcs Member

Sounds like a problem with either (1) the drive, (2) the firmware on the drive, (3) the dvd playback software, (4) the DVD playback Codec, or (5) the dvd creation software. Do you have another dvd player app that you can try?

10. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

You haven't told us the back software you are using. DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink are a perfect combination. and they are free.

What are you using?
    Have you updated your firmware for the burner from the manufacturer?
    What media are you using?
    Are you using -R or +R?

If you answer these, maybe it will ring a bell for someone.

11. johnb4467

johnb4467 Member

haha, I am such a dork.
    I tried using just regular old Windows Media Player, and I could skip around to my hearts content...which means it must be powerDVD that is the problem.
    Hmm, I wonder if that problem has been remedied in newer versions?
    If not, does anyone have a good dvd player program to recommend? I hear theatertek is the hands-down best, but it's also pretty costly I think...
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for helping me find the source of the problem! So simple...!

12. tonsofpcs

tonsofpcs Member

It could just be it got corrupted, try uninstalling and re-installing it if you still have the disks (or doing a 'repair' install if the installer supports it).