1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD backups to watch on TV via PS3

Discussion in 'PS3' started by Nepheler, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

I have quite a good collection of DVD movies. Now I want to make backup of my DVDs and convert them into MKV keeping the initial high quality for putting to an external drive and playing on my TV via PlayStation 3 console, since I prefer digital versions that last longer and are more portable, than physical disks. Which is the fastest DVD ripper recommended? I”m working on Yosemite.

2. thebox

thebox Member

I use Mac DVD Ripper Pro to copy the disc and then Handbrake to convert.
    Now MKV will not play on a PS3 unless you have it jailbroken. It will play if you're streaming from your computer to the unit itself.
    So if you're streaming, you're golden. If not, then converting to M4V or MP4 will play flawlessly/natively on the PS3.

3. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Also your PS3 won't accept harddrives formatted in NTFS, so any file bigger than 4 GB will be a problem, because that's the largest size a Fat-32 harddrive can handle. You will be far better off to get a smart tv box, if your TV doesn't support harddrives natively (most modern TVs have USB ports and support multiple file formats, mine can play MKVs and it's not new, about four years old). Android smart tv boxes can be bought at amazon.com for under 50 USD, and they will also be a lot quieter than the PS3.

4. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

I
    I try the Bytecopy, it's an excellent Blu-ray, DVD Ripper