1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Backups Tracked?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ima49311, May 15, 2007.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

I was reading my copy of PC Magazine the other day, and read something that gave me quite a jolt.. it talked about how Blue Ray & HD DVDs (and possibly soon Reg. dvds) will soon have the ability to tell if they have been "backed up". Is this actually possible? should people be worried about this anytime soon since its apparently illegal to make backups of movies you actually own?? just wondered what you guys thought.. thanks

2. res2cue

res2cue Guest

I remember something like this coming up quite awhile ago, and it comes down to this. If they could give this type of technology to a dvd (which I don't think they can) who cares? Are you going to send it back to the production company? And other than them, who is going to care? It didn't happen to be an April issue of the mag, and this was their version of April Fools did it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2007
  3. Suba

Suba Regular member

OK, lets say this is possible, which I doubt. This would be a scenario.
    You bought DVD, it is in your home, than police would have to come with court order to surrender all your purchased DVDs to check them for backup.
    On top of that, DVDs are pressed not burned, you cannot write to it, there would have to be a small section of DVD with sensitive layer to write to.