1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD best format to play in vista media center

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by banzaijoe, Jan 4, 2008.

1. banzaijoe

banzaijoe Member

Hi all,

Which is the best format to convert a dvd movie file to, to view through vista media center?

I've spent hours trying to convert a 1 min segment from The Last Samurai using AoA DVD Ripper (latest version).
    Tried mpeg2, avi etc.
    The ony one that gets somewhere near an acceptable quality is choosing SVCD PAL STANDARD under the mpeg2 options (which then greys out the resolution options). I'm in the uk, so need pal conversion.
    Can anyone enlighten me as the best way to convert please. Or indeed recommend a better(?) program to do the conversion.
    I preferably want to watch the movie via vista media center, so it gives me the option of viewing via the xbox360 as well.

Cheers

2. banzaijoe

banzaijoe Member

Lol, ok, i'll reply to myself.
    It seems that the best quality i can get is by converting it to WMV file with the following settings:

WMV9
    Resolution: 720 x 480
    Frame rate: 30 fps
    WMV bitrate: 1895kbps
    WMV audio quality: 192kbps

That gives as near to the dvd quality as i can get and i'm happy with it.

One question though. When it appears in the library in vista media centre, it shows the very first frame as a thumbnail, which isn't descriptive at all. How can i change the thumbnail to say a jpeg showing the film title? I tried opening the movie in Movie Maker and inserting another frame with the title in it, but then saving it back took time and lost me some quality.