1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Bitrate too high, above 9848kbps

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Sonnyhood, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Sonnyhood

Sonnyhood Member

I have been having problems backing up my movies, some of them seem to have a video bitrate of 9800kbps and audio of 448kbps = 10248kbps. This creates a non standard DVD Format, and gives me errors. Its not all dvd its only certain generally older movies.
    The bitrate usually only peaks at 9000-9800kbps one in the movie, but it shows as max BR of 9800 therefore not being standard.
    [bold]How can i make it to approx 9000-9400 which would be within the limits?[/bold]

Any help at all thanks.
    Sonny

2. Sonnyhood

Sonnyhood Member

Continue from above...
    I use the following.
    DVDdecrypter
    IFOedit
    DVDshrink
    DVDAuthor (2 movies per disc)

I dont think i need to re-encode the whole movie do i?
    If so a quick link to where i can find it, ive looked and searched here. Maybe i missed something.
    Its only 1/4 of the movies, and as i said, its generally older movies converted from VHS->DVD eg. Friday. Whereas Next Friday has video BR of 7800kbps.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

4. Sonnyhood

Sonnyhood Member

VOB -> VOB
    I was thinking theres a quick pass through to lower bitrate, i actually thought dvdshrink does that but obviously not. Or set max bitrate then pass the vobs thru it?

5. Nephilim

I'm not aware of any quick method :)

6. Sonnyhood

Sonnyhood Member

Then a slow method?
    I have not been able to figure this one out.
    I know tmpg can adjust BR, mpg mpeg etc, but i dont know how to output vob to mpg, I had Xilisoft ripper, but its shareware.
    Perhaps, someone can give some clues.

7. Nephilim

Once you process the files through TMPGEnc you can use TMPGEnc DVD Author to add menus and put them back into the proper VOB, IFO, BUP format. Here's a slick guide for DVD Author:

http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/tmpgenc.htm

8. Sonnyhood

Sonnyhood Member

Ok it seems you are trying to tell me tmpg can recode the vobs, but maybe im stupid, but i cant get tmpgenc to open a vob, i spent around 3 hours.
    If i look in the tmpg help perhaps it will help me this time, but it didnt the last 3 times i looked.
    Sorry to be a pain, its like im speaking chinese and u dont understand what im saying.
    Anywho thanks for the help Nephilim

9. Nephilim

No worries.

Open the Project Wizard in TMPGEnc and on the second page where you click "Browse" to select the source file you need to select "All Files" from the dropdown in the little "Open" window that pops up. Now you should see your VOBs :)

10. Nephilim

No worries.

Open the Project Wizard in TMPGEnc and on the second page where you click "Browse" to select the source file you need to select "All Files" from the dropdown in the little "Open" window that pops up. Now you should see your VOBs :)

11. shiroh

shiroh Guest

the only thing i could think of right now is that its a vhs transfer of an old movie. so there will be noise, and noise is bad for compressibility. so dvdshrink might have used to much bitrate for that.

what you can do is filter out the noise, i use avisynth for this.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/
    browse through this guide

or how about not transcoding the video. does it have all sorts of special crap on it ?

12. Sonnyhood

Sonnyhood Member

I think ive found what i needed.
    Ive used DVD2AVI before but it was what i needed.
    I havent used that for years i forgot procedures.
    Anywho.
    Now i opened the movie re-encoded with a maximum bitrate of 9000kbps, and a average BR of 3500kbps.
    i used this guide.
    http://www.doom9.org/mpg/tmpg-dvdencoding.htm
    Thanks its great that people try to help each other.
    I think i can say now... for a movie which someone has ripped and it ends up being Video BR of 9800kbps + Audio 448kbps = 10248kbps

DVDdecrypter (i just rip main PGC, you can do all menus if you want but better to use CCE+rebuilder)
    IFOedit (create correct IFO/BUP)
    DVD2AVI (output a .d2v that tmpgenc will open)
    TMPGenc Plus (re code video only see guide)
    IFOedit (to remux video to the audio)
    DVDShrink (to make the DVD 2200mb approx)
    TMPG Author (To make a nice menu on the dvd and add the 2 movies of my choice to this DVD-R)

All in all, it takes alot of stuffing around. Alot of hours encoding. The quality makes it worth while. Even 2200mb total turns out very good quality. You sacrifice that little bit of qual for the fact theres 2 movies on 1 disc. And the convenience of it all.
    I would match the result of 2 movies per dvd as a really excellent (2cd) movie in DIVX format, but with AC3 sound 448kbps.

Thanks
    Sonny

I Hope anyone else out there with the same problem can get over this quicker than i did.