1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burn issues

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by coyster, Jan 7, 2004.

1. coyster

coyster Guest

I have not been able to burn a DVD that does not cause playing problems. I have movies from my dvd camara edited in Studio 8 and ulead and burnt to dvd. I also have backup dvd movies made with Xcopy Pro, that when they get towards the end the picture seems to go "Blockie" and my dvd player stops working. I have upgraded my home dvd player to a sony and also upgraded my pc dvd writer to, no avail. I have win xp 512 ram pent4 and 2 80gyg hard drives. I edit on the drive that does not contain any opp system. The problem happens on any dvd player that I have used. Im thinking along the lines of: Is my graphics card causing problems, do I need a Video card as I have not had any other problems, or is it because Im using dvd- disks. I have tried different makes of disk. The dvd writer that I have now plays and records both format. Do I try + disks. Please help as its driving this sad old git round the bend.

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Oh dear oh dear. You have 'upgraded' your standalone player to a Sony? Can't help wondering what a waste of money. The problems you are having are almost certainly due to poor disc quality. You say you have tried other discs - which ones? Your system is fine and should not cause any problems. What burner do you have and which burning rom do you have?

3. coyster

coyster Guest

Hi thanks for your quick responce. I took my dvd back and said it was playing up and not playing corecly so they exchanged it for another make.
    Disks I have only used 2 types one called White Label and the other sold by my local pc shop as own label. What disks do you thaink I should try as they are not a cheap product. As I had used 2 types I never thought that it may be the problem.

Thanks

4. coyster

coyster Guest

my burner is a NEC rw10 1300a

Thanks

5. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

try ritek G04 4x dvd-r discs

6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You can use DVD info pro to find out the manufacturer of the disc. This tool is really excellent for giving all possible information on ALL discs and drives. You can get it free from here:
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com/index.php
    Unfortunately the NEC is not the most reliable of drives but I still think your discs are the main culprit. Like devilhunt says, Ritek are the best cheaper discs, and I'd also recommend Verbatim. It is best to do a search online for the best sites to purchase media from as you will get a better choice and cheaper discs but make sure they offer a returns policy in case they cause problems. I'd also suggest you get some DVD RW discs to test with - this reduces wasting any more discs than you have to, and also check out the DVD-R media section above.