1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner - for movies?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by brosen, Jun 12, 2007.

1. brosen

brosen Member

I have a computer with a lg hldt st rw/dvd gcc 4521b DVD Rewriteable burner in it.

Can I use this burner to make copies of my movies to play in a tv DVD player?

I was told it had to say +- on it and it doesnt?

Please help.

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

rw/dvd- this tells you it can burn -r, +r, and above all RW, so yes you can copy your dvds with it you just need a another drive that can read dvds to copy from, but you can burn video files to it if you only have one drive

KEEP in mind DVD-R has many playback problems, so use +r, RW is a expensive, you can use it over ad over

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

3. tripplite

tripplite Guest

forgot to mention............

great softwares are "1Click DVD Copy Pro"

and "Imtoo dvd copy express"

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Yes you can do your movies using one drive, but you need to rip the movie first to your HDD and then encode and burn it. You can use the freebie programs, DVDFab Decrypter, DVDShrink and ImgBurn to burn if you do not have a burning program such as Nero.

Also there are trial versions of Slysoft AnyDVD and CloneDVD for breaking encryption and compress and burn.

Look at these links they will help.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/494836

http://www.slysoft.com

DVD -R media is the standard and is compatible with most older players, unless the player only plays + format. If your burner bitsets you can use a +R format and bitset to DVD-Rom which will play in most player even older ones. I have an older Toshiba player and it will only read -R media, I used the format for years and there are no playback problems.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  5. tripplite

tripplite Guest

or you could use my awesome ripping guide located in my sig!!

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

What playback problems are you talking about? DVD players produced in the last 3-4 years don't have problems with +R or -R. It's true that if you bitset +R has a nearly 100% compatibility rate, but unless you have a fairly old player so does -R and non-bitset +R.

7. tripplite

tripplite Guest

no not completely true, many people are now putting a dvd player on every tv they have, mostly just because there cheap now 30-60$, and companys newline of dvd players are small and portable, for instance my brand new (released 1/2 a year ago) yahoo dvd player does not support dvd-r, also many portable dvd players do not support -r, and since there cost is the same why risk it, go with +r

8. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R