1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burner in hdd caddy

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tee99, Mar 20, 2005.

1. tee99

tee99 Regular member

quick question - i have a usb 2.0 hdd caddy (which connects to the actual hdd via a short ide cable, and to the pc/laptop via usb.
    the question is, if i was to put an internal dvd burner in there, would it still be able to burn ok, and simply appear as a normal drive as if it were in a bay in the pc.
    and would the fact that its connected via usb slow things down and give hassle when burning?
    any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers

2. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Sounds like everything will be ok, but im not to perfect in that field, and the usb 2.0 shouldnt slow anything down to much. however if it is longer then a 6 feet range , it does slow down.. sorry i couldnt help you to much.

3. NovaTiger

NovaTiger Member

I've done something like that with a hard drive (using an IDE-USB adapter) and have not experienced any speed trouble. It also showed up like an internal HD, too, so I can only imagine that your burner would work similarly.

4. tee99

tee99 Regular member

cheers gents, will give it a go.

only a temp thing, till i organise getting a new pc,and save me having to make to with an antique laptop!