1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burner Newbie

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mn3us, Jan 14, 2004.

1. mn3us

mn3us Member

I am completely new to DVD burning. I would like to take video from my Camcorder and put it on a DVD with menus, etc. I would like to know about the following if anyone can help:

1. Hardware - From what I have read, I am going to get a dual format burner (+R/-R). Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

2. Software - There are so many different ones out there. The ones that seem to stand out are Pinnacle, Roxio Easy DVD Creator or Nero. Any suggestions. I have heard some bad things about Roxio software.

3. Media - I have read that media can make a difference. Any infomation would be appreciated.

4. Source - Does it make a difference where the video comes from? I have an analog camcorder, but I have seen hardware that will let me save it on the PC as mpeg, avi, etc. I assume this will be fine?

I am a software engineer and I have a network at home, so I am pretty comfortable with PCs and installing / configuring, so you probably don't have to dumb it down too much. I just don't want to go buy the first burner I see on ebay and have problems.

Although, I have 3 pre-school aged boys at home, so by the time I actually have some free time to put their videos onto DVD they will probably be in college :)

Thanks alot.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

mn3us,

You're right; Roxio doesn't play well with others!

Get whatever burner you want -

IMPORTANT - it should be compatible with your DVD Standalone player. Dual is easier buying discs - Most burners nowadays are dual. Panasonic 106's are good units, do what ever you wish them to -

Pinnacle is good, I like Nero. Better to keep away from Roxio.

Source - if you get something to save it to your PC in an MPEG2 format converting it to VOB's to edit or compress and make a playable is available a s freeware.

TMPG DVD Author, and DVDShrink will do the trick.

Oh yea, Welcome to the Neighborhood,

There's a bunch of us chewing the fat around the water cooler, stop by anytime you have a question,

Pete

3. mn3us

mn3us Member

Cool, thanks alot. That is a big help. It's nice to talk to people who have done this stuff already.

I can't wait to get started. Hopefully I don't end up with a really expensive set of coasters. :)

Thanks again,
    Ron

4. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

a better forum for you is the video capturing from analog sources forum: http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/79

1. You have an analog camcorder, you will need an analog video capture box which will allow you to capture the video. There are different ones which can capture at different levels of quality. I don't know the specifics of which ones are the best. Searching the threads there will give you the most information.

2. Software: to convert it to dvd format, you will need to reencode the video from avi to dvd. I guess you could do this in multiple steps but Pinnacle/ulead/roxio all work pretty well and are not too expensive. They all allow you to edit the video, add music, etc which is not too difficult. I have both pinnacle and videowave(now roxio) and I like the pinnacle better. They are all less than $100 and are functional. Better software programs will be more expensive like vegas video ($400).

3. burner and media: i would get a multi-format burner and burn to -r as it will work in more standalones. the plextor, pioneer, and sony all get good marks. get quality media--you can't go wrong with riteks.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

My vote:

1. Pioneer 106 dual format burner (super/reliable/solid for me)

2. Go with Pinnacle Studio.....very easy for newbies to it...I have just got into dv and camcorder etc loads of fun...transistions, importing MP3 and other audio, edits, FULL DVD AUTHORING.........even captures (as long as you have a capture card)
    (recommended to have a good spec PC).

3. Go with G04 Ritek branded -r's VERY solid...although it is worth trying out the +r (as you know you will buy the 106)

4. The analog should be fine...if you have a capture card, and Pinnacle Studio.....then you can capture at MAX resolution to AVI....then edit etc and then render, then compile a dvd.....LONG PROCESS though if the video is long in time....

If you get coasters using Pinnacle, then try Recordnowmax or Recordnow DX..........I doubt you will though...............

If you do just send them to me, I am lining all the ones I collect next the Leaning tower of Piza........and it's called [bold]The Leaning Tower of coasters....[/bold]

Have fun......