1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burner Not Recognizing Blank DVD-Rs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Ieron, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Ieron

Ieron Guest

Hi Everyone

I just got a LITE-ON DVD+RW LDW-401S DVD burner but I can't get it to recognize the blank DVD-Rs i bought when i put them in the drive. I even updated the firmware and still no luck. It can recognize and play CDRoms, DVD Movies, CDRs and even the PS2 DVDs I put in it, but I can't get it to recognize the DVD-Rs.

Anyone know what could be the problem and how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2004
  2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

It will never recognize the blank DVD-Rs. It is a plus R burner. You read dash R, but not write.

3. Ieron

Ieron Guest

So your saying I bought the wrong kind of blank DVD Rs? I'm sorry i'm annoying but I'm still new to this. What kind of blank dvds do I need to use this burner? Or can it even burn dvds at all?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yep, You can only burn + Plus format only. You are probably going to need some programs. Dvd burning is a totally different world. But you are at the right place. You can get dvd shrink and dvd decrypter here at AD, and its free,these will take off copyrights. Nero 6.0 and higher will also work with dvd shrink for burning.Dvd decrypter is a powerful ripper and it has a burn engine.You can get a free 30 day trial also here,just click the blue links. Check out the guides on top tab of this page and guide forum.

What kind of discs do I need?

The bland dvd disc, "media" is the most important part of burning. This is not cd-r burning where you can slap in any disc. High quality media is the key. Start out with some maxell,tdk, rw's---REWRITABLE-- discs to practice with. Avoid most media like store brand names,generic,and especially memorex. Burning + format only, try maxell,fuji,tdk,and sony. When you get the process down,then there are many tools you can get here for finding high quality media.

Your stand alone players "the players you are going to play those backups in" will appreciate the high quality media.

Just because You may think high quality media is going to cost more,if it is not on sale, This will save you a lot of time on trying to reburn your projects again, or getting errors for unknown reasons.

The high quality media will save you a lot of problems.

Hope this help you out. Any more ???, just come on back. Just go through the guides before posting another question.

Good luck and happy holidays.

5. Ieron

Ieron Guest

Aw man you don't know how much that bit of info helped me right there man. Thank you very much! :D

If i encounter any more problems I'll post them here.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2004
  6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Here is a couple of tips you may need.

1) start out with + rw's
    2)slow burnspeed,nothing over 4x.
    3)your target for the new backup should be 4300-4360 mbs.You need this number to keep it from burning the outer edge.This is where uneven dye and where your fingers touch it
    4)Using +r's,high quality media is a must.