1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD BURNER NOT SEEING MEDIA??

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by NINRH8R, Jan 28, 2008.

1. NINRH8R

NINRH8R Member

I am having problems with my dvd burners (both of them) not seeing my media.......either dvd, or cd?

i have updated firmware, and drivers.....have even went as far as opening the pc, unplugging the drives, rebooting and then shutting down and plugging back in the drives.

When i try to burn dvd with any program they either hang up, or say install disc.

Everything was working fine until about last week.

Thanks

2. paudge

paudge Member

Hi, I dont mean to hijack this thread on the original poster but I am having the exact same problem for some time. Basically the DVD-rw wont do anything anymore. It wont write and when I try to read something it freezes (i go to my comp, click on the dvd-rw drive and it freezes) It is a Pioneer DVD-rw DVR_105.

Anyone any ideas? I have uninstalled the drive and it has been picked up again upon restart. Also it does say the device is working normally in the properties of it's listing in device manager

Cheers
    P

3. paudge

paudge Member

Just reading outer threads for a clue to the problem and it seems possible that other burning software that would have been loaded on the pc may have installed their own burning driver and thus it wont work for anything else anymore. Could this be the problem? If so how do you get it go back to it's original driver?

What it's doing at the moment when i put in a dvd is; it sounds like it's giving it one spin, doesn't like it, slows down to a stop and tries again after @ 4 or 5 secs, then one more spin, etc etc

drivin me up the walls!

4. segueman

segueman Member

The first thing that crossed my mind upon reading the starting post was how old is it, or, how many hours (reading or burning) are on the drive? If it's more than 2 years old, at roughly $35 a pop, it's worth it to upgrade anyway just based on better speed and increased MEDIA (different BRANDS) compatibility alone. If memory serves me that PIO 105 is an older model. I think I had one and 2 years was about it. Also TIME can be a factor even if you're not spinning it everytime you turn the putter on. For example, IF YOU SMOKE this will shorten the lifespan of a rom-drive.

5. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Find the IDE controllers in your device manager and remove both IDE channels from the list. Then re-boot and Windows should reinstall them.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  6. shoe59

shoe59 Member

7thsinger,

I am seeing 6 items under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
    Primary IDE channel
    Primary IDE channel
    Secondary IDE channel
    Secondary IDE channel
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

I'm not sure why they're all listed twice, but could you please help me out here?

By "remove" do you mean "uninstall"? if so which channels should I uninstall here?

Thank you so much for any help.

p.s. just to make sure since I'm such a noob, this is to correct a problem I have with my DVD+-RW/CD-RW drive. It says the device is working properly, but it won't read any disc.

7. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

8. shoe59

shoe59 Member

7 --

I tried Alkohol's guide for removing the IDE controllers, and also tried the last part -- removing the actual drive.

Didn't work for me. Is it possible that my drive is shot? I just got it about a year and a half ago, and have NOT used it excessively for burning cd's or DVDs.

This occurred when I started using DVD+R media(Sony) instead of DVD-R(Sony). I never had a problem with DVD-R.

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much.

9. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Compatability issue with media formats? What kind of burner is it?

10. shoe59

shoe59 Member

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H553A

My drive flat out won't read any disc, but the drive itself is recognized.

A "power calibration area error" occurred while I was using DVD Decrypter. (and the drive has not been reading since then).

I figured there was a compatibility issue as well, I was having trouble backing up to the DVD+Rs (first time I tried to use them).

11. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Normally i would suggest a firmware update in hopes of increasing compatability; in this case we may need to consider another option all together.

New burner time.

12. shoe59

shoe59 Member

7thsinger, thanks again for your help.

I was afraid that was going to be your answer haha.

Are you pretty sure that it's shot? did the DVD+R damage the drive somehow? (I think I read somewhere that uncompatible media could damage a drive).

Might you have any suggestions on a reasonably priced DVD+-RW/CD-RW combo?

13. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Glad to help out. It's hard to say what launched the burner.

I have a LiteOn DVDRW/ LH-18A1P that i'm more than pleased with. Very compatable, low noise, it's a great burner.

http://newegg.com

14. shoe59

shoe59 Member

thanks again man for all your help.

you made me realize I probably need a new drive now, instead of trying to get the old one fixed.

newegg.com rocks!