1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burner question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Sphinxk3n, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Sphinxk3n

Sphinxk3n Member

Well I have a Sony RS610 Computer. It has a DW- U18A dvd writeable drive and a cd rom. One problem its only a 4x so I want to upgrade. Im looking at buying another burner. When I buy a burner can I replace my cd rom with my new burner that way I'll have two burners. If i can do this can I burn disk to disk without it having to be placed temporarily on the computer. Also can I burn two different projects to different drives at the same time. If I can do this, what speed will disk to disk burn at? will it read at 4x then burn at 8x. I hope im in the right forum if not I can go to another. Thanks for any help ya'll can offer and also any recommendations on dvd burners to buy would be nice.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

DVD ROM drives are cheap now. I'd advise getting a DVD ROM and a dual format burner that handles CD and DVD. ROM at master on the secondary IDE and the burner at slave.

Recording on the fly depends on your system resources, you need a lot of ram to do it. I get better results with hard drive files and it doesn't take much longer.

One thing to remember when burning DVD movies, you need to burn at 4X or less. High speed burns are more prone to have write errors.

No, you wouldn't be burning two projects at once. In fact recommendations are that you not multi task when recording DVD movies.

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I totally agree. Burning at 8x over 4x only saves about 5 minutes. Chances for errors are considerably higher. I NEVER burn over 4x for movies and only 1 x for games even tho I could burn at 12x if so desired.

Not to mention the media is also considerably higher.