1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burner Question

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by zunigabir, Apr 18, 2007.

1. zunigabir

zunigabir Member

I have to DVD/CD combo burners on my home pc I noticed on most disks that I purchase when I put one in the Toshiba burning it shows me a max burning speed of up 4x that I can choose I can take that same disk and put it in my Memorex burner and it shows me a few different burning speeds to choose from 2, 4, 8 12, 16.

I thought maybe I set something wrong on the other burner awhile back I bought a different brand of DVDs and the Toshiba burner now with this brand show me a few more different speeds from 2X, 4X, 8X and 16X, that same brand of DVD on the memorex burner showe the opposite either 2X or 4X.

What causes this is it the company making the DVDs that would cause it to show faster burning times to choose from in some burners but not in others?

2. res2cue

res2cue Guest

is your firmware up to date in the Toshiba?

3. zunigabir

zunigabir Member

I think so how do I check this or where can I go to get the latest update?

4. res2cue

res2cue Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2007
  5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

this does sound like your burners not recognizing your disks ..... one burner does and the other doesn't..... goes to show you that different burners like different disks! And..... both Res2cue and MichaelP1 gave good advice to you about firmware updates.

Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also makes new write strategies for newer media (or ads more manufacturers of media) to it's write strategies so it recognizes more media.

the older your drives get the less likely that your manufacturer of the drive will put out a firmware update.... don't forget.... they are in business to make money.... so when the drive gets older they move on to their newer line and discontinue the older line to make room.... so get the latest firmware you can for your drives and find the best media to use for that drive and stockpile your media so you don't run out of it anytime soon! The best media to use is MIJs (Made in Japan). Taiyo Yuden, Sony, Maxell, Fuji and others have MIJs... just make sure it says MIJ on the label of the box or spindle... these are the most recognized disk out there and your burner should do better with them. Verbatim is another top notch disk but NOT MIJ and is the only exception to the MIJ rule! good luck. happy burning and welcome to afterdawn.

using DVDDecrypter to find your firmware:
    [​IMG]

or use the link provided for in MichaelP1's reply

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  7. res2cue

res2cue Guest

thanks for adding the picture guides IHOE... you're top notch.

8. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

yw....... nahhhhhh just been around the block, a bit! LOL

9. ish101

ish101 Member

is it possible to burn AVI movies from the net to a dvd that can be played on a dvd player...

10. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Hey,you could open a new thread for a completely different topic.If your dvd player doesn't support divx,then you need to convert the avi to make it playable on your dvd player.Now if it supports divx,you just need to burn it as data dvd using nero.

Vincent.

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

ish101.....what TY4ever means is: don't hijack a thread for your own purposes..... start a new thread and ask your question so others can answer you directly. don't ask a new question right in the middle of an old thread that has already answered the original question!