1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner trouble.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by shak13, Oct 20, 2004.

1. shak13

shak13 Member

I just purchased a Pioneer DVD-RW model 108. I've installed the burner in my pc and Windows XP recognizes it. The problem I am having is that it does not read any kind of media. I put a disk in the tray and it spins, but windows does not recognize any media in the drive. I've tried hooking up the drive to the primary IDE and keeping the burner a slave, but I still ran into the same problem. This problem also occured in the CD-R I had installed priviosly.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. shak13

shak13 Member

I did what you said and I am still getting the same issue. It looks as if the burner is trying to read the disk. The windows pointer shows the cd but it keeps blinking on and off. Any other suggestions.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi shak13, welcome to aD,

Did you check your PC to see if it says you have a working ASPI layer ? It's always possible it didn't install correctly

Here's an ASPI checker -

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Now it's time to check for an updated Firmware to help your drive see the different Media -

Here's a Firmware checker and some Firmware, also check your Mfg.'s site for a "Flash" upgrade -

To check on our firmware we'll need a little "tool" which we can get from here -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

Get back to us and tell us how you're making out -

Pete

BTW, With a brand new drive you shouldn't be trying fancy 8X or higher media. Stick with the "Good stuff" until the company has the time to get their firmware completely up-to-speed.

If you haven't bothered to lQQk for the proper media for DVD Video - here's a short list -

DO USE; Phillips, RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus, media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets.

Using "No Name" crappy discs won't help and most likely will hurt your chances of doing a DVD backup.

Cheers again,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  5. shak13

shak13 Member

I ran aspichk and it reads like this:
    Component Version Date Size

WNASPI32.DLL 4.712 (0) 07/17/2 45056
    WINASPI N/A N/A N/A
    ASPI32.SYS 4.712(0) 07/17/2 16877
    WOWPOST.EXE N/A N/A N/A

ASPI is not properly installed. One or more components have been replaced with older versions of the software.

I thought ForceASPI 1.8 would install the most recent ASPI on my pc. Did I do something wrong? I used ForceASPI 1.8 the way the website I was given told me to. I could restore the old ASPI but on that site it states if I restore a backup and there is no backup I will erase all ASPI. I'm confused. Can you give me a little help with the Force ASPI program?

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Get rid of that ASPI file and reinstall it again. Having an ASPI that doesn't work is like not having one at all AND you need one !

Let's try this site and try to install your ASPI in the order that they are presented to you :)

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Let us know how you make out,

Pete

7. shak13

shak13 Member

Still having issues. I'm not sure if the ASPI is the problem. I installed the proper ASPI and the aspichk program told me I had the proper ASPI installed and that they were working properly. Any other ideas or am I doing something incoorectly. Sorry to be such a pain.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey shak13, you're not a pain at all,

Now we have to check your Firmware - -

To check on our firmware we'll need a little "tool" which we can get from here -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

If you haven't gotten the proper firmware - back you go to get your upgrade - You cannot be without it -

Here's another place to lQQk also :p) ~>

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Once you're set with the up-to-date Firmware, give it another try -

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  9. shak13

shak13 Member

I have the most up to date firmware (ver. 1.14). I'm still having the same problem. Would a reinstallation of windows XP help? I don't want to have to do that, but I want to get this DVD burner working. Thanks again for the help.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Before we do that, let's uninstall your drive then reinstall it and see where we are -

"P"

11. madhondt

madhondt Member

I have a similar problem, although I'm not sure if it is exactly the same:
    I also have a Pioneer DVD-RW 108, and I had it all working properly, it worked like a charm, up until recently. Since a few days the drive doesn't show up in the windows explorer anymore, although it is detected in the bios. In the windows hardware manager I see an exclamation mark next to the DVD-burner symbol, stating that the drive is not installed. I'm offered a button to install the dvd-burner, but pressing that one gives the message that windows was not able to install the drive...
    As already said, it was working properly with WinXP SP2. The only software changes that I am aware of (between the time that is was working and the time after) is the installation of software and drivers for my new mouse (Logitech MX510) and some other (music) software that came with the mouse (MusicMatch?), but which is already de-installed.
    I tried to install the drive in another PC (Win98SE) and there it worked properly. I also tried installing the drive on another IDE-channel (with proper jumper settings), but no help.

12. madhondt

madhondt Member

Apparently in my case, removing the dvd-burner from my hardware-manager in windows (and having it automaticaly re-installed after reboot) was enough to solve the problem. Probably this will not help in yor case...

13. shak13

shak13 Member

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the burner. Still no help. I don't understand it. Could my PC have some sort of malfunction or is it a software issue. Anything else you can suggest?

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

We've gone through everything, correct me if I'm wrong -
    Latest drivers and windows updates,
    Latest firmware,
    a working ASPI Layer
    different media - Did we do that ?

Diod you try different CD's ? Have you ever tried DVD's ? You never mentioned trying DVD's only CD's -

We want to see if it sees original CD's and DVD's and does it see different mfgrs of media ?
    You should have some tech support if it's a new unit - have you tried them ?

do whatever we haven't done so far - and report back -

Pete