1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Burner wont open

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sobhy2406, Feb 9, 2005.

1. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

Okay I've just gotten a new dvd burner less than a week ago but now it won't open the tray
    P.S This also happened to my dvd-rom
    Its not the burners fault because i replaced another burner for this one with the same problem

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Have you tried a software eject? If you haven't, open "My Computer", right-click the mouse over the icon for the dvd drive, and select "eject" from the popup context menu.

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

When that happens to me I have to restart my pc then everything works again.

4. pfh

pfh Guest

hmmm...packet writing software?

5. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

Ejecting from anywhere doesnt work and restarting doesnt

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Does the indicator light on the front of the drive light up to show it's working? Check in the Device Manager and see what the drive situation is. You can troubleshoot from there as well. What operating system are you using?

7. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

Didn't see it happened to both, sorry.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  8. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

The led works and emergency eject doesnt work

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If the LED is on you have power. Did you change the IDE ribbon when you replaced the drive? Not much left except a communication problem since it was on 2 different drives.

Jerry

10. brobear

brobear Guest

You answered only a short part of what I mentioned. You need to address the rest. Did you check the Device Manager and what was the status of the drive?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2005
  11. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

Device manager is fine and its xp no i didnt change the ribbon but nothings wrong with the cable(I Think) because it worked for a week with no problems

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Do you have programs on the computer that use tray commands? DVD Decrypter and recording programs often do. It's rare, but a program could have the tray locked. Other than that, it is just an electrical and mechanical process; either something is blocking the tray or it's not getting the signal to open. Did you try opening it manually with a paperclip or small screwdriver through the small hole in the front?

Hmmm... the cable had to be working last week, the drive was okay. The drive doesn't work this week. Is the cable making good connections this week? That could indicate a loose connection or a faulty connector that isn't working this week. Or some other things as mentioned. As you have noticed, because something was okay last week doesn't mean it is this week, even if unlikely.

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The simple fact that 2 drives have the same problem in the same install location kind of leaves the drives out of the picture. It has to be an intermitten connection somewhere as brobear is stating. When you installed the new drive you may have moved the IDE cable around enough for contact to be made. After awhile you get a loose connection somewhere. I would open the case and move the wires around inside and see if the drive starts to function.

Jerry

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Jerry
    I thought I was agreeing with you. ;) Anytime there is a sporadic electrical-mechanical malfunction, connectors are one of the first things to check.

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Everybody is correct!!!

Please check the following to make sure that the initial setup is correct.

Ribbon cable with a blue end on it, 80 wire, connecting the blue connector to the MB.

The other end of the ribbon cable, black connector, should be connected to the master or your burner.

The middle of the ribbon cable, grey connector, should be connected to your DVD-Rom drive, slave.

Your Burner should be set to Master position, jumper, on the back of it.

Your DVD-Rom should be set to Slave position, jumper, on the back of it.

4 Pin power leds also connected to the back of each one of your opticals.

Now after that is all checked and correct, can we talk? <G>

One more thing... do not connect any sound cable form the back of your drives at this time, just incase it to is connected to the wrong pin configuration on the MB.

16. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Brobear.
    Yea, I know. The post wasn't aimed at your reply. Sorry if it came across that way.

Jerry

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Jerry,
    Just yankin yer chain a bit. LOL Ole Seniors agreeing to agree on things we agree on. Wonder if that could go toward redundancy? ;)

Scubabud
    Thanks for the lesson on hooking up cables. You got the connector positions okay. What you put on those connectors is optional at master and slave though for the drives. If you have a ROM that is noticably faster, you're better off putting the ROM at master. I've had my burner at slave for the longest with no ill effects. So part of that is preference. In some cases the manufacturer gives a position preference; but in many cases it is a matter of preference and/or best performance.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I hear ya BroBear and agree on preference. Just wanted to give a basic list for sobhy2406 to follow since usually the Burner is requested as the Master. Good systems nowadays with the latest OS never have a problem either way.

Thanks.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

It was just the part about should be, which gives the impression that is is a must situation. Didn't want the beginners to think their setup was wrong if set the other way.

20. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

I fixed it with a screwdriver it turns out the dvd rom has 2 discs in it and dvd burner has 1 disc incorecctly put in