1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burner wont Read any Discs

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mrrx7, Jan 1, 2005.

1. mrrx7

mrrx7 Member

I have a LG GSA-4120B DVD Burner and I was trying to copy my Action Replay MAX for PS2. Now my drive won't read anything. Wwhen I put a disc in, the light flashes a few times and then just stops, and it's as if no disc is in the drive. This happens with whatever disc I put in. I have tried burning with Nero and Alcohol 120% but the just say 'Initialising Device' and then 'No Disc' even though I have a disc in there. The drive shows up perfectly everywhere but it just won't read a disc. I have updated the firmware from A100 to A111 but to no avail. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drive but also nothing. Please help me! I really need my drive to work.

2. Willmatic

Willmatic Guest

What DVD software program are you using (ie: power dvd, windvd, etc)?

3. mrrx7

mrrx7 Member

Which ever one I try, nothing works. Even in 'My Computer' is just says 'DVD-RAM Drive' as if I never inserted a disc in. Any ideas?

4. mrrx7

mrrx7 Member

I think I know what has happened. I looked at my Action Replay disc and there is a white mark on it which smells like it's been burnt. Maybe the laser burned the disc and malfunctioned?

Can I have your opinion on this?

5. Moneybags

Moneybags Member

hi yes i am having the same problems with my 16 X DVD-RAM LG GSA 4160B brand new just replaced my 8X LG burner i had for 4 months & it was begining to burn read errors so i returned it & they gave me this 16X Burner, i cant even get it to read any dvd's containing mp3's, mpegs or even jpegs, my computer will stop responding/wont even play the mpeg/jpeg file, not sure what exactly is wrong, i tried 4X dvd's & the new 8X & it does it on both.....very unstable piece of electronic .....if any one out they can help us out that would be great thanks a bunch

6. Moneybags

Moneybags Member

i just found out what the problem is from, your power supply is over its limit try disabling your cd-rom drive (that is disconnect the wires from the back of it) or purchase a higher power supply....my drive works flawless now it seems that the newer dvd burners at 16x use up a lotta juice i hope that helps some ppl out, thanks

7. jan5

jan5 Member

Well I can't help but I can tell you taht I've got the exact same problem, only diference is my drive is a 4081b. It's weird that a lot of people seem to have this problem but their seems to be no solid fix. Also LG makes no mention of this on their site, providing this is strickly an LG problem. Some body help us.
    Moneybags I would try your idea but I only have one drive.

8. oceanclub

oceanclub Member

Have any of you installed XP SP2? I did, and I got read problems with my DVD writer. Uninstalling SP2 solved this.

P.

9. mrrx7

mrrx7 Member

I have tried the drive in a different computer without SP2 and it still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure my laser burned out (SP2 and power supply weren't the problem). Thanks anyway for your help!

10. Moneybags

Moneybags Member

hi, i dont know for sure if SP2 is an issue i know i installed SP2 a month ago but my original dvd burner was wearing out thats why i replaced it, the new one wouldnt even read discs (very bad) so i returned that one right away & still had the same problem, Now i knew it wasnt the drive itself + my cd-rom drive played CDs fine so now i disconnected my cd-rom drive & everything is fine.....now if you dont have a cd-rom drive then it is simply a matter of checking the power supply, i believe mine was a 350W & with the new drive installed it went over that so even if ur running one drive it may be your power supply to begin with, either that or LG/Toshiba is a bad company to purchase from heheheh there are 5 possibilty problem that i thought of:

1. Update Firmware
    2. Defective DVD/CD discs 4X/8X
    3. Power supply (happen to be my problem)
    4. Antivirus Software (i doubt it but it mucks everythin else up)
    5. possible lens defect (maybe, if Burner is new unlikely)
    ....I hope this helps everyone

11. mrrx7

mrrx7 Member

Hey Moneybags, I checked ur pointers and these are my results

1 - Update Firmware - Have done so, didn't help

2 - Defective Discs - Tried many discs, as I said,
    device doesn't even try to read anything that I
    insert into the tray (be it Audio CD, Data CD, CD- R/RW, DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM, DVD9) so
    this isn't the problem

3 - Power Supply - Not the issue. Tried on two
    different computers (one running 500W for a
    Pentium II!)

4 - Anti-Virus - Neither of the computers are running
    anti-virus software. Formatted both computers a
    few times, installing different OS (Win 98, Win
    98SE, Win ME, Win 2000, Win XP, Win XP SP1, Win
    XP SP2, Win 2003 Server, Red Hat Linux, Mandrake
    Linux, LinspireOS) and didn't help anything.

5 - Lens Defect - This is my pick. I am almost
    certain that I have blown my lens as I have
    mentioned before, but I am new to optical drive
    technicals, so I would like someone more
    experienced to give their opinion.

Thanks for the posts, hopefully this helps out other people also. By the way, I'm not sure if I mentioned this but my drive is a 12x LG GSA-4120B DVD-RAM drive with firmware version A111.

12. Moneybags

Moneybags Member

hi MXrr7, ya it does seem like you tried everything you possibly could, now is it under warrenty from the store you bought it from?....usually they offer 1 yr warrenties on such product as dvd-burners....i know how you feel without having a burner, i owned 2 different burners & they were both LG, i find them not to be very stable but i never tried any other dvd-burners on the market...i know they've come down in price substantily, i wish i couldve locked down on your problem but i'm not a tech pro just still learning the last 5 yrs or so, i'm better at software than hardware, i hope someone else out there can give you a hand all in all it does sound like the drive is pooched, good luck Mxrr7

13. JayT78

JayT78 Guest

My mate had exactly the same problem with the LG 4081b, big problem is i have one to! lol
    I bought mine last April, i ordered my mate one at the same time. His worked fine for a few months then started to get loads of burn errors, eventually it just stopped. Wouldnt read or write any disks, i searched the net and i found LOADS of people with exactly the same problem.
    I returned it to the place i bought it off dabs.com, they tested it for a week or two, then sent it to LG. who then after 3 weeks gave me a full refund, no questions asked at all. So i got him a Dual Layer Lite-on for £20 less than i payed for the LG. As off yet no problems at all!!
    My drive hasnt had a problem .......yet! Its probably waiting till April so the warranty runs out.

14. brad71604

brad71604 Member

I agree with JayT78... Lite-On is the best. I have one that is about a year old 8X and has never given me any problems. I recently bought another one for external use with my laptop 16X and it works well also.

15. mrman

mrman Regular member

I love my LG 4040B. Iv had it since it came out not sure how long but i know its over a year. Have burned around 500 discs both +and- with only one coaster but i caused it. Also i dont have a dvd-rom so i use it to rip all of my movies too. The thing just keeps going :) The only slight problem i have had is that its sometimes picky with -r media and only lets me burn at 2x but other then that i couldnt be happier.

16. JayT78

JayT78 Guest

Hiya, yea i have had that problem with the Datawrite yellow's DVD-R's they meant to be 4x, the new versions only burn at 2x though. The older versions did work at 4x though which is really annoying. The drive needs a firmware update, but i aint done mine yet, the drive has to be set as Master and its set as Slave at the moment.Im gonna have a go at it tonight i think, as soon as i have done it i will let you know how it goes.

17. ryjunk27

ryjunk27 Guest

i just had a problem where my 2 drives wouldn't read any discs, a dvd rom and dvdrw; i tried all this crap with drivers, installing and uninstalling drives, updating firmware, and none of it worked.

Now, my solution after much trial and error:

1)go to system log: (control panel, perf. and maint., admin tools, event viewer, system)

2)scroll to see if you have cdrom source error, event 11; if so it means your IDE cable/s are bad.

note: the cable i had in was brand new, just unwrapped, and it was shot. I got another one, plugged it in, and bingo, runs like a champ.

18. JayT78

JayT78 Guest

I updated the Firmware to the A104, instructions were in German, but i remembered reading them in English a while back. You just gotta make sure the LG drive is set to Master and close all uneeded programs. I got an windows exe file update not the Dos one, heard that was a bit risky. Its back to burning the disks at 4x speed now, so im happy!!