1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burner won't read original movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gwing, Jan 8, 2008.

1. gwing

gwing Member

Have used my dvd burner for years and have burnt many movies. All of a sudden it quit reading dvds. I've been using Nero 6 and PowerDVD, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling software and this doesn't help.It won't read original dvd's either. I read something about a dvd decoder may be missing. Does anyone have any sugguestions on what I need to do or install to make my drive to work? Thanks.

2. david66

david66 Regular member

Your burner may need to be replaced it is not a software problem that is causing your problem new burners are very inexpensive they start at less than 50.00

3. gwing

gwing Member

My cd-rw drive won't read them either, thats why I thought it might be a software problem. Both drives (cd-rw and hp dvd-rw) read data disc and my digital pictures, but neither will read a dvd movie. Thanks for any help

4. nasayin

nasayin Regular member

WHat is the error msg when you try to play the movie?

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Also, along with what nasain said---What Operating System (Windows version ? Linux?) and did you install any new software or hardware before this started?

6. gwing

gwing Member

I'm using Windows xp. I have a HP burner.I just installed dvdfab hd,at first it wouldn't find the source for the movie,then it did bring up Rush hour 3, but it just kept saying "finding source- rush hour 3". In RIPIT4ME it couldn't find the dvd. I was able to burn the movie "Candy" a few days ago.
    Now, when I click on either of my drives when I have a movie dvd it comes up blank. When I open PowerDVD it reads no Disk in drive. Thanks for any help.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hmm couple things going on here

rush hour 3 is a problem rip.

getting consecutive errors can make your drive go to PIO mode. check ?DMA is enqabled.

real old drive you said? hmm could of had it, you got the syymptoms of readong cdr not dvdr.

8. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

gwing:

Right-click on My Computer> click Properties> Hardware Tab> Select Device Manager.

Press the 'plus' (+) sign next to DVD/CD-ROM drives and it will tell you the manufacturer and model of your drives. Copy that info here.

Also as Deadrum33 said, did you install any new software, any hardware, any drivers or fiddle with any settings recently?

Also you might want to enable DMA, if it's not already enabled.
    Follow this guide:http://www.onthegosoft.com/dma_setting_nt.htm

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

do you have more thqan one ripper loaded?