1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burner won't work properly

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bigman_99, Nov 2, 2004.

1. bigman_99

bigman_99 Member

i have an IOMEGA dual format dvd burner, model no. DVDRW4216IND-A and it will burn perfectly to RW discs but not to recordable (once only) DVDs

can someone please help?

BigMan

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Assuming there's nothing wrong with your burner, software, or media, burn speed could be the cause because burn speed is often set to be lower for RWs. Have you tried to burn at low speed (e.g. 2X) using NON-RWs?

3. bigman_99

bigman_99 Member

Thanks for your prompt response scf_au.

I tried what you suggested but it didn't make any difference even at 1X

I have been successful when burning to both DVD-RW and DVD+RW

I am using the latest nero and trying to burn to LASER 4X DVD-R and it fails without starting

to my knowledge no data is actually written to the discs when it fail as it reports 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free when i check out the properties under "my computer". maybe it's already a coaster but how can i check for sure?

i reckon i've got a dodgy burner since everyone else i know has no problem with their dvd burners.

BigMan

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

To the best of my knowledge, when a burning operation fails with a non-rewritable disc, it becomes a coaster 99.9% for no matter what. So when you said you've tried to burn again at low speed, did you mean using a brand new disc (never been in the tray before)?
    Also, don't be so harsh on your burner because burning with RWs are usually more difficult than with non-RWs. That's why you are actually having a rather odd situation. BTW, what media are you using?