1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burners

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Uugah, May 19, 2004.

1. Uugah

Uugah Member

HI all, I need some help in determining which DVD Burner to purchase.Or at the very least,some good points to take into consideration before I go opening the Bank Vault...:)

I guess right now im stuck between choosing an NEC,like the ND-2500a or whatever,or maybe even a Plextor model.

Also,i hear alot about using certain DVD's for making copies of your movies,Ritek I believe is 1,are their others brands,types,etc....?

Thanks for any and all help on this!

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

2 other good drives are Sony and Pioneer. Verbatim is another good choice for blanks along with Ritek. Keep in mind that dual layer burners are now becoming available. You may want to look into one of those as your DVD burner. This will eliminate almost all compression on dvd movie backups.

Jerry

3. Uugah

Uugah Member

Hey thanks for the quick reply.

You mentioned DUAL LAYER Burners??...Can you please elaborate a little?

What kind of functions does the Dual Layer offer me? Are they better than the others I mentioned earlier?
    Do they require special Disks...etc...?

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Dual layer burners are just coming out. Some started shipping this month(Sony). Dual layer burning will give you a blank disc with a capacity of around 8.5 gig I think. Twice the size of present blank media. This means little or no video compression will be needed when burning a longer dvd movie backup. Yes dual layer discs will be needed to get the larger size, but I think they will burn the 4.7 gig discs also. I think the 2 available now are Sony and Philips.

Jerry