1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Burning for Dummies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jusmore63, May 7, 2004.

1. jusmore63

jusmore63 Guest

HELP! We have a AMD 2.8, 40 gig hd, 512 DDR machine with an IOMAGIC 8x dual burner. We have a Canon digital camera and uploaded the movies onto the PC, then attempted to burn them to DVD. First of all, it's cheap media from eBay...after reading your forum, that could be the first problem. My husband used Pinnacle 8SE to put the movie together and burn the DVD. The DVD will not play in the Magnavox DVD player or the AIWA DVD player, although it WILL play on the computer.

What are we doing wrong? What do we need to do to burn these movies onto DVDs and actually watch them in DVD players? We are seriously new to all of this and need guidance!

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.

2. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

use NERO to burn(download it from this site) and try burning at the slowest spped possible(that sometimes helps)and if you want to add menus to your DVD home movie i sugest you use TMPGEnc DVD author, thats a pretty cool app:)

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Did this software come with your camcorder? Just curious.

Media compatibility with DVD players can be an issue. You did not say what model # these DVD players are or what brand and type of media you are using.

Go here to check on player/media compatibility:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Pinnacle 8SE is a standard DV program and if used correctly should be able to create home DVDs easily.

After you use the program, check the output folder it creates on your hard drive.

A typical VIDEO_TS folder may look like this, this example has two video title sets:

VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1
    VTS_02_0
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_1

VTS_01_0 and VTS_02_0 are the .IFO files for Video Title Sets 1 and 2.
    The .BUPs are the .IFO backup files, the VTS_01_1 and VTS_02_1 contain the A/V content.
    You may have only one title set in your folder, thats OK. Yours should look similar.

Until you have some success, I recommend getting some re-writable DVD RW discs to practice with. Two or three are more than enough.

Good Media:

http://www.meritline.com/verbatim-dvd-plus-rw-dvdplusrw-blank-media-disc-discs-jewel-case.html

Cheers,
    Frank

4. jusmore63

jusmore63 Guest

Yes, the software came with the camcorder. We also have Ulead video, although I don't think my husband has used it yet. That software came with the firewire. Is that any good??

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

They both should work well. I use the Ulead Movie Studio stuff on occasion. I use DVD Lab for its great menus, you need an encoder to go with it though. Its worth looking at as a more advanced tool that really lets you be creative.

6. jusmore63

jusmore63 Guest

By the way, the Aiwa DVD player is the XD-AX1, and the Magnavox is the MRD-250. Does that help any??

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

hehe I gave you a link to use to check your media /DVD player. Im not gonna check that for you 'cause Im lazy ;)

BTW
    That may be the problem, exactly what is the make and model of your media?

Please look at the folder you want to burn. Does it have files similar to the ones I posted for you?