1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burning help

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by coochie77, Apr 2, 2004.

1. coochie77

coochie77 Member

Hello, I just bought a i/o magic dual 8x format dvd+rw/+r drive. I'm trying to make a back up copy to view on a dvd+r, and keep the original for myself. How do I start? Do I install roxio that came with it for burning? or buy something else? Thanx

2. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

3. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

hi coochie77,
    welcome to the forum. It wasn't long ago I was exactly in your shoes. You've come to the right place for help. Might I suggest you start by browsing through the pages and pages of previous threads for similar sounding questions and do a little reading. Try a search for posts by Scuba Pete and you'll be burning in no time ;).
    If it's not too late, do NOT install Roxio. You won't need it and it will probably conflict with the programs that you will need. If you've already installed Roxio, uninstall it before proceeding further.
    After a little reading, you will find that you need:
    1 ShrinkDVD (free) used to fit your movie onto one disc
    2 DVDDecrypter (free) Ripping and burning program
    3 Nero burning rom (optional, but highly recommended)
    4 High quality blank media! Ritek or Verbatim are the most highly recommended brands.
    Like six.6.six, I also use the Shrink/Nero method, and it has worked beautifully for me.. and pretty easy once you read the guides available here.
    If you don't want to spring the 70 bucks for Nero, you can go the Shrink/DvdDecrypter route, all for free. :)
    So, do a little reading and if you need help with something specific, ask away...you will surely get lots of help here. (just make sure you haven't bought cheap media, lol) Good luck! and stop back ;)

4. bokster

bokster Guest

hi coochie77 im a newbie too download any dvd its only a trial version or go here for a freebe the prog runs in the background http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd43.cfm i use dvd shrink with nero and aint had no problems but for backing up backed up discs i use dvd decrypter on dvd-r ritek discs hope to be of help

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there coochie77, (Hi ya HickeyDoo)

Like my buddy Doohickey said, try the free stuff - He's given ya all the basic stuff, here's the directions :D)

Here we go, step by step - it can’t fail.

First create a folder for your HD backup. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work/My movie Name).

Next download DVD Decrypter and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says “verify”. Where it says “source”, you’ll leave that blank as Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

The link for the newest Decrypter -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Download DVD Shrink. Open it and click “Edit”, and then click “Preferences” under the “File I/O” Tab un-tick “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

The link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive. DO USE Ritek G04, Verbatim or media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy cheap stuff in - )

Now, take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select target device” once there, select “ISO Disc Image”. NEXT, [bold]IMPORTANT, [/bold] tick “Launch DVD Decrypter to burn the output image” box. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it ! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s working. [bold]DO USE Ritek G04 discs, Verbatim discs and media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. [/bold]All other media could very well be the cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in standalone players.

* There have been issues where playing your DVD on your burner may result in errors during processing :-(

Enjoy, and when you're done, I'll point you in the direction for getting rid of those trailers and such - once you've gone through this, the other stuff takes about 2-3 extra minutes :)

Pete
    (See ya Doohickey, thanks for the kind words :p)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  6. coochie77

coochie77 Member

Thanx everyone, I'm burning dvds with no problem. Thanx again, for the input:)

7. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

coochie, (hiya Pete! ;) ..Wow!...that was fast..from "How do I start" to "I'm burning dvd's with no problem" in less than a day. Am I good or WHAT!, (grin)
    ok ok, you helped a little too, UnciePete (;p~~(lol)
    Yanno, I was tryin to save ya the trouble of posting all those excellent and detailed instructions for like the 79th time this month by making coochie do a little research on her/his(?) own, but I shoulda known you'd jump to the task yet again. (smile)
    By the way, I have copied and pasted your above posting into a notepad file entitled "guide to the Shrink/decrypter method"....and I would strongly advise any other newbies reading this post to do the same. ;)
    .......talk to y'all soon, Doohickey ;)

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there Doohickey,

You were doing great, may I recommend that next time you include the links for the programs you're suggesting ?

Do that my friend and I'll just lay back here in the corner and watch :D)

Missed you for the longest time, really glad you're back :0)

Seeee ya -

Pete

9. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

(Doohickey waves back)..Heya Pete, hows my favorite Uncle ;),
    Ya, I 'spose I could've included the links, but I didn't for a couple of reasons...
    1..I haven't figured out just how you do that yet, lol....are you pasting them in from somewhere? if so, where?
    2.. I like to encourage exercise whenever possible. Think of the benefit coochie and others can derive by sliding their mouse cursor all the way to the top of the page and actually clicking on that big "Guides" tab up there (grin).
    3.. I don't want you gettin fat and lazy layin around in the corner watchin (see #2)(grin)...I'd miss ya too much.;)..besides,nobody can match the great personalized step-by-step walkthroughs you provide. I like them way better than the "official" guides..most of which had already been gratiously provided by six.6.six in this case ;)

One thing I didn't quite get though, was the statement:
    "There have been issues where playing your DVD on your burner may result in errors during processing"

How can you play the dvd while its processing? Did you mean problems from ripping from the burner? I'm confused, please explain.
    Talk to ya soon, Doohickey ;)

10. coochie77

coochie77 Member

Ok I burned about 2 dvds, then on the third dvd it stop burning at 22%. It just stopped. then I tryed to take the disk out and start over ,but the drive did'nt open .There was a flashing orange light on my drive. I had to shut the computer down to get it out.
    HELP! did I do somthing wrong? I used shrink to backup and nero to burn. thanx. I thought I was doing so well.

11. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

uh oh...let me be the first to ask...what brand of media are you using, coochie?

12. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

hiya guys........

i think doohickey is going to be spot on with this one coochie...........i guess is got to be the media your using rather than anything your doing wrong.

13. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Heya Viper, How are ya this fine Sunday mornin ;)

coochie,
    Also, in order for the smart guys here at After Dawn to help track down your problem, they'll need more information. Such as:
    your system specs (processor speed, memory, hard drive etc.)
    Do you have any programs running in the background during the process? (anti-virus, internet, anything else, etc)
    Is your new I/O burner an internal or external drive?(if internal, who installed it and how? If external, is it hooked to a USB2 port? If it's not a media or memory problem, it could be a configuration problem)
    And lastly, don't be like MURDOG and forget to tell us what brand of media you are using, lol (wink) ;)

.......................Awaiting your reply,
    Doohickey ;)

14. coochie77

coochie77 Member

I'm sorry, I'm new to this. media? how do I check to see what kind of media? space I have 8gb. I burned my first two with no problem.

15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi coochie
    type of media means, name brand of your dvdr's
    if you dont know for sure download this free software and run some tests...http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

that will tell you what media it really is,not just whats on the disc.it also can speed test your drive and discs and check your burned discs for errors
    good luck and welcome to the club
    jim
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  16. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

(Doohickey scratches his head)...
    ummm..ok... read what it says on the disk or the package it came in? Does it say memorex?..verbatim?..TDK? Imation? etc... and what is the format?...DVD-R?, DVD+R? DVD+RW?, DVD-RW?
    You have an 8GB hard drive??!! Are you sure? Most DVD's will need more than half of your entire drive, if that is true. That could very well be the problem.
    And what about the other specs I asked for...CPU speed,memory, OS? And all the other information I requested? Come on coochie, ya gotta help us out here before we can help you ;)
    ..........................Doohickey;)

17. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi doohickey
    i love the way you put that blank in for murdog to fill in lmao
    blaze on clubbers
    jim

18. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

heya Jim, glad to see more help has arrived, lol
    Coochie, to clarify...did you mean you have 8GB free space left, or 8GB total? Either way, it's cutting it pretty close, but it does matter...let us know
    ...............................Doohickey ;)

19. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

lol, you're typing faster than I am...I haven't looked yet, did he ever fill in the blank yet? (laughin too)

20. coochie77

coochie77 Member

ok, when I burned my first two dvds I used memorex dvd+rw and they worked great. my next dvd I tried to burn I tried to burn it with fujifilm dvd+r. only because I ran out of memorex.then I ran and bought more memorex and that did'nt work. excuse me if I sound silly but, is there a program on my computer that would stop burning like that?(at a certain% as it did) such as a program called any dvd? I share computers and I noticed that it was installed. I was burning fine before that. Thanx for helping:)