1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burning HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Wayne_T, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member

Ok. I have a Lite-On 8xDVD burner Dual layer and i have been backing up movies to my HDD and i just started to burn them to DVD's not long ago. The discs im using are 4X+R ones and i have burnt like 10 DVD's so far and only 5 work in my top of the line DVD player and all of them play in the burner. but i also have a Lite-On CD\DVD-ROM Combo and the movies that dont work in the DVD player dont work in this drive either and the ones that do work in the DVD player do work in this drive. I dont think that is is the disc's but they are cheap ones. also what is the better format to burn movies for playback in all or most DVD players (DVD+ or DVD-). thanks for the help.

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

If they ripped,encoded and burnt without a problem, then id say its the discs. Try ritek or verbatim metal azo discs.

Also, from experience, top of the line dvd players are usually more picky than no-name players when it comes to media

3. colw

colw Active member

Agree with 'deadcat' - seems like low quality, unreliable media. Could only get worse if you do something silly like putting labels on your DVD's. El Cheapo players are often more reliable for burnt DVD's.

4. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Regular member

Thanks but how come they still play in the DVD burner.

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

because
    1-they are possibly compatible with the burner but not your standalone drive
    2-Readers/burners read bit for bit, but some do it better than others
    3-the drive that writes the disc, imho, always has the best chance of reading the disc

Your saying 50% work??
    Iv seen people go through packs of 100 and have 10 work, then same maunfature but different pack, have 90 work. This is because with quite a few companies, they provide the name but out souce the disc, so you could be burning anything. Ritek and verbatim (amongst others) dont do this so you know you get what you pay for.

download dvd identifier http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ it will show you who makes your discs. Maybe run a good backup disc and a coaster from same brand/packet, and see if ther the same
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Intel Celeron 1.8
    512mb ram
    Aopen Com4824
    HP dvd300e
    Sony DRU-510AK
    40gb Samsung
    120gb Maxtor
    ---------
    PS2 v9 SatinSilver
    Magic V modchip[/small]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004