1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burning (help)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by diamond27, Oct 1, 2004.

1. diamond27

diamond27 Guest

Hi, I am new to burning dvds. I bought a burner and downloaded that Nero but I'm still confused. I back up the files, or movie whatever its called, and when i go to burn, it spits my dvd out and says that (it) failed. i have dvd+r could it be the dvd im using? i have no clue what to do. My friend also burns dvds and when he installed my dvd burner he couldnt figure out what is going on. If anybody knows please help help help tyty!

2. cruester

cruester Member

I don't know if this is your problem but you can't burn copy protected DVDs with Nero alone. What DVD are you trying to burn? And what are your PC specs, burner model etc? This will help us help you.

3. diamond27

diamond27 Guest

the brand of dvd burner i am using is Pacific Digital. 8xdvd burner. but we have the speed set at 4x ... right now i am trying to burn any movie that i can. a few movies that we tried to burn for the heck of it was Mean Girls. just to see if it works. but i am very lost and am wondering if i should just take it back to the store. i did download that dvd decoder software but not sure how to use it and then use the shrinker. u can call me blonde when it comes to this cause i have NO clue what im doing. please tell me anything else u need to know about what im doing, i can use all the help that i can get.

4. diamond27

diamond27 Guest

oh and what are pc specs?

5. cruester

cruester Member

By PC specs I meant the processor speed, type of memory, all the internal stuff. But I doubt that's the problem. You have to download DVD Shrink. It's a free DVD shrinking/editing program that uses Nero or DVD Decrypter to burn. Check out the guides at the top of this forum. It might take some time to learn but I think you'll love it. Let me know how you do.

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

This is how I got started.

Download both Shrink and Decrypter if you haven't already.

DVD Shrink:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

DVD Decrypter:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

[bold]Older guide, but is simple. Shrink Guide:[/bold]
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

This thread also helped when I first started:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/79846

Good luck :)

7. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Flip... Hope you don't mind me butting in but this looked like a great time for a Scuba Pete guide. Unfortunately the scoundrel seems to be off napping under the palms so I copy pasted this one to my brain ;) so I could give it back to you word for word.

Quote:A ScubaPete Guide for DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter :)

Of course the main thing is to download the programs before you can think of doing anything :)

Program # 1.
    (Get your DVD Decrypter’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Program # 2.
    (Get your DVD Shrink’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now that we've done that –

Get yourself nice and relaxed and follow this here, it's a step by step – and this baby can’t fail, kweeler than a snowball down the back of your pants (Weeeee, :)

First create a folder for your HD backup work. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:\All My DVD Work\A DVD Mom would hate).

Next, lets get DVD Decrypter setup so it can burn in the background after DVD Shrink has done its thing – Ya ready ?? Yea, I knew you were :) Right-o, open up DVD Decrypter and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says “verify”. Where it says “source”, you’ll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it. (Yee I'm tired already – this is truly a lot of work (Lol))

Next, open DVD Shrink, you have the latest version of DVD Shrink so click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “DVD Target Size” as custom and set the size no higher than 4300MB – If your blank discs aren't the best, drop your size to around 4260MB. We do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn’t too large. Then under the “File I/O” tab "un-tick “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive. If you have only a single drive, begin by placing your original in the drive first - When it necessary to put your blank in, you will be prompted to do so. DO USE RiData, Sony, Ritek G04, TDK, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife "Plus" or media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy cheap stuff in - )

Because DVD Shrink is so easy we're going to let it do a complete backup. That means we're going to copy the entire DVD. Everything is already set so that all we have to do is click the "Backup" button.

Now, take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select backup target” once there, select “ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it ! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s working. -

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER !

Hope this helps. Good Luck!
    One more note.... RW discs are great for beginners because if you screw up, then you can just erase them and try again. Nice to keep a couple around for experimenting if you're unsure of what your results will be. Once you achieve success then you can use regular +R.

8. colw

colw Active member

I am not sure that they would be very helpful or considerate when you explain that the DVD that you have hired/purchased will not copy correctly.

In order to copy movie DVD's you generally need to rip, encode and compress. The process is quite different from copying CD's. Read the guides and links provided and you should be on your way.

9. diamond27

diamond27 Guest

Well I can't thank all of you enough for responding!!! and what i meant by taking the burner back to the store is that i just don't know how to use it. BUT I will try everything that you all explained. At least i know now where to start, before it was like somebody sat the burner right in front of me and said "now burn some dvds"..lol... i was lost. Thank you again and i will let you know how that worked out after following your instructions!!

10. diamond27

diamond27 Guest

Oh i checked out my computer and the processor is 800mhz AMD Duron, 64 MB memory, 40 GB hard drive... also, about a year ago i had more memory added, but cant remember how much.. my computer is 4 years old so i try to update it as much as possible, also... i have XP home edition.. i think thats the info you were asking for.

11. CJC

CJC Regular member

XP on 64mb RAM..... :S.. now that will be slow.

You might consider adding more RAM to that comptuer if you are going to start DVD backing up.

It WILL run on that, but obviously take longer then the average 10-15mins to RIP and 15mins to burn @ 4x.

You are probably looking towards the hour mark just to Rip the DVD.

CJC

12. diamond27

diamond27 Guest

Yeah but I did also mention that i did add more ram. i just cant remember how much to be exact.. i was telling you what the computer came with, but i did add more... i am not sure how to check on the computer and see if it can tell me how much i have.

13. CJC

CJC Regular member

There are a few ways to check.

Since you are running XP, you and Right Click 'My Computer' then left click on 'Properties' and it will tell you down the bottom right.

OR

You can download CPU-Z from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download which will tell you aswell, plus more information.

CJC

14. diamond27

diamond27 Guest

Wow you guys are so darn helpful, ok i did that and i have 448 mb of ram.... how is that for burning dvds?

15. cruester

cruester Member

Looks like you have enough RAM. You should be fine. Burning might take you a little longer but speed kills DVD burning anyway. Just make sure you disable programs like your anti-virus and screensaver while your burning.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Windows XP SP2
    Intel P4 2.8 GHz
    2048MB DDR-RAM
    120GB Seagate SATA
    ATI Radeon 9800
    Sony DRU-510A DVD+-R
    Sony CRX-320A CD-RW/DVD-ROM[/small]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  16. CJC

CJC Regular member

Yep, 448mb RAM is enough, but it will still take around the 30-60mins to Rip, but thats just a guess.

Like cruester said, just disable your screensaver, and any other high usuage programs, and try not to use your comptuer when you are rupping.

Apart from that, read over the links and guides and have fun.

If you have any more problems, just start a new thread in the appropriate section and people will try and help.

CJC