1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd burning is it real?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by daverl, Aug 13, 2004.

1. daverl

daverl Guest

I have been looking into programs to make backup copies of my dvd's, I am starting to think this is all a joke because every program I download as a trial, does not work. It seems many programs are just promises of a product that does not work. I am stsrting to feel these companies are jumping on the technology bandwagon so we buy their products for the sake of technology.. You open it up and nothing... I have tried a burn and go program and it would not even load 2 times and two different programs.. I have downloaded a couple of other programs to try them out first before I buy and they did not work.. My pc is fine my lite on dvd/cd burner burns mp3's with no problems... I have tried the dvd shrink program I can't remember what that did..I know it is for just decoding.. I am stsrting to lose hope.. At least I did not shell out the bucks yet..

I am thinking of the house DVD burner are they better? and can one make back up copies with that if you uses 2 dvd players?

Anyone actually have a dvd burner program that actually works?

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi daverl

when your ready to back up dvd's,this is what most newbie's will be using, mostly DVD Shrink, but once in awhile DVD Decrypter, when you find a disc that shrink wont do. (both freeware)

try these very easy to follow guides(no reading just watching)

guide for doing the whole disc...http://www.dvdshrink.info/fulldisk_basic.php

guide for when your disc is bigger than 4.36gb:http://www.dvdshrink.info/reauthor_basic.php

guide for using on that stubborn disc:http://www.dvdshrink.info/dvd-decrypter.php

guide for burning with nero:http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

guide if you need to print it all out:http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm

the new dvd shrink lets you blank out special features, and previews for a still picture to save compression.

there that will give you something to look at for awhile,let us know your progress.

good luck and welcome to the club
    jim

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  3. anonomous

anonomous Guest

so far with one exception dvdshrink and dvd decrypter have both worked well for me.. I am not computer smart at all and have backed up over 50 movies :) with the help of forums and tutorials

4. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hi Daver,
    Just what JD and anonomous said. Download Shrink 3.2,
    free right here on this site and give it a whirl. It is very user friendly but I would suggest reading the guides first just to get the drift of things. I blew money on some highly advertised software several months ago and had zero success. I happenned onto this forum and read some of the posts from the gracious and knowledgable folks here and "BINGO" I was backing up my DVD's pronto. Not one coaster todate using "SHRINK". My thanks to "AD" for all your help. HW.

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

The problem with most trial versions is they only do half the movie. The only trial software that I've come across that does the whole movie is AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 ... you can do the whole movie and use the software for 21 days.
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

And I agree with the others DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are great free programs.

6. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

So Daverl,
    Sorry I didn't get your nick right the first time.
    So, after getting pointed in the right direction, how did things go for you in your backup ventures? Did the programs and info given to you by the most gracious and helpful people here on "AD" answer your questions? It's always nice to have some "feedback", be it positive or negative about your own personal expieriences about the sharing of information on this site. Please let us know how things went. If you have anymore questions about "backups" please read all the information available on this site. It may seem easier just to post your questions and hopefully get yout answers but, I think you will find it much more enlightenning to find the answers for yourself from the massive data bank available to all members of this forum. Goodluck.HW.

7. daverl

daverl Guest

Hello all, Thanks for your tips and suggestions.. I have already downloaded DVDshrink I have saved a disc to my harddrive it's the burning I have trouble with..Is there a free burning program out there? I have MyDVD and it doesn't have the capability to burn from real dvd's... This is a great site and the helpfulness is appreciated, thanks!

You can call me daver that is what I intended to have as my name but someone else already had it... :)

8. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hey Daver,
    You can also download Nero from this site. I would suggest you buy it though as it gives you all the options. Once you have it on your computer it will work in the background with Shrink and backups are a breeze. Nero is not expensive. Try "Fleabay" or if you don't want to wait for it to arrive you can buy it at almost all computer stores. Goodluck and let us know how its going.
    HW.
    PS. I haven't tried it as a burner yet, but I believe DVD Decrypter
    will burn it for you as well.

9. daverl

daverl Guest

Hi I just bought a new Sony 12x DVD drive that came with Nero. I have to try and figure it out though.. If anyone knows how to us DVDdecrypter as a burner I would like to know if that can be used. I have downloaded that and I ripped the dvd it seemed pretty good.. Thanks again for your tips!

10. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

Hi Daver,

Here is what you are looking for.

Simple DVD Backup Steps

First create a folder for your HD backup. Try to put it someplace where you won’t forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work).

Next download DVD Decrypter (link below) and under mode select “ISO, Write”. Un-tick the box that says, “verify”. Where it says, “source”, you’ll leave that blank, as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file automatically. Lastly, where it says “Destination”, select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter; DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

The link for the newest DVD Decrypter -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Download DVD Shrink (link below). Open it and click “Edit”, then click “Preferences” on this page we’re going to select “Target DVD Size” as custom and set the size to 4360MB - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn’t too large. Then under the “File I/O” tab un-tick “Enable burning with Nero” then click “OK”.

The link for the newest DVD Shrink -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive. (Many people suggest using Ritek G04, Verbatim or media boasting “Advanced AZO Dye. All other media could very well cause errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is definitely not the time to put your cheap stuff in, although there are a lot of people that have success with the cheaper media including myself, however I am currently using Ritek Ridata, which you can get for approx. .35 - .39 each (+R).)

Click on “Open Disk”.

Before you rip with Shrink, you have the option of selecting “Full Disk” or selecting “Re-author“. Most of the time before I rip with Shrink, I select re-author and then double-click on the Main Movie (usually Title 1). This moves over only the main movie to the left to be ripped. I don't even bother with the menus, as you can still select chapters with your player.

Now, click on “Backup!”. Take just a second and under “Target Device” go to “Select backup target” once there, select “ISO image file and burn with DVD Decrypter”. Finally, where it says “Select target image file”, browse till you find your created folder (i.e. C:/All DVD Work) for your backup and click “Save”. That’s it! Click “OK” and DVD Shrink burns that ISO image to your HD. It then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.

P.S. You will find it easy if you place a shortcut on your desktop for “All DVD Work”. This way you can open it and empty it often as the movies stay there, in case you need to backup again. However the more you keep in there, the quicker you run out of HD space.

Also don’t use your PC for anything at all while it’s backing up, including turning off anti-virus, screen savers, and all other programs that might be running in the background.

Good Luck

11. vans12

vans12 Regular member

do you have a dvd burner. Just checking.

12. daverl

daverl Guest

update.... I have just made my first backup dvd... I really like the decrypter program it worked great! I really appreciate all your help with the suggestions.. It is really nice of the guy who made dvddecrypter to make it availible for free...

I have just bought nero and I am sorry I did... Although I am sure it is a good program.

13. daverl

daverl Guest

I have another question... Since I got such a good answer last time. I wanted to pick out certain parts of DVD's that I have and I would like to burn them on a new dvd-r how do I do this using shrink and decrypter? Also if I re-author can I make up my own menu somehow?

If you have the time I would appreciate your advice..

Thanks!