1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd Burning Issue

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dvdiva, Mar 24, 2007.

1. dvdiva

dvdiva Member

Ok, I reference this site quite a bit, but now I have run into my own problem. Here it goes...

My uncle recorded a movie from the tv on a DVD-R. He wanted a couple of copies of it, so I did what I usually do. I decrypted it using RIPIT4ME and Dvd Decrypter (combo of the 2). Then I opened the files in DVDSHRINK and it did it's thing burning like normal.

Well, his original dvd plays in the dvd player just fine. HOWEVER, it doesn't play in the DVD-ROM. I did not make sure that it played in the DVD-ROM beforehand, because I just assumed it was ok because it played on a regular dvd player.

The ripped version PLAY in DVDSHRINK...but when I made the copies...none of them play in neither the DVD-ROM nor any of our dvd players here in the house. What's the dilly yo? This is the first time I have had this problem. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

this is a common problem caused by the media you are using and/or it could be the writing speeds being used. oK ... first off:

I would use +R media that is MIJ, made in Japan! MIJs are the best media you can get and most recognized by burners and players! Look for the MIJ on the box or spindle before buying. Taiyo Yuden (bought in online stores), Sony, Maxell, Fuji and other brands have MIJs but you have to make sure it says it on the label (Taiyo Yuden is the only one that is strictly made in Japan!). The +R media is better than the -R media as it can be booktyped to DVD-ROM and fool the player into thinking it's playing a store bought DVD! If your burner allows booktyping then your +R media can be booktyped and this will make it more compatible with most/all players! read these two web pages:
    http://www.booktypefaq.com/
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/

next I would only burn at half the rated speed of the disk to ensure the best possible burn to the disk. Burning too fast or too slow can make it hard for some players to read the disk properly and therefor make the disk useless to the player and you'll get a bad disk error or the player will just reject it.

try these remedies:

1. better media
    2. booktyping (if possible by your drive)
    3. burn at half the rated speed of your media!

and you should have better results.

one more comment on your burn procedure when making a copy of a copy! You don't need Shrink to make the copy! Shrink is only used to make a smaller footprint so a disk can fit onto a DVD5. If the disk is already copied then all you have to do is use DVDDecrypter and Image burn! the encryptions are already gone! Shrink is not necessary! Or you can use Nero to copy and even BURN ON THE FLY if your disks are of good quality and you're sure there won't be reading errors from the disk that you are copying! There are many other programs that will also make a direct copy of a disk in one step instead of all the steps you are using!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  3. dvdiva

dvdiva Member

Thanks for replying. I have burned dvds more times than I can count, and have never ran into this problem. Is it because it was recorded directly from the TV to a DVD-R? I made a note about the types of dvds you recommended. My uncle used a Phillips brand one. We tried burning it on one of our Memorex ones but it didn't work either. I am currently burning at 2.4x on our other computer to see if that works...thanks again!

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Philips and Memorex..... the two most crappiest media out there! use the MIJ media and you'll have better luck..... did you read my reply??? here is a media guide:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    learn what's good and what's crap..... stop using crap and complaining that you are having problems! sorry for the strong language but it's the truth! If the media isn't being recognized then it's crap! ok. don't mean any disrespect. but use better media! follow the advise I mentioned above! you'll see your problems go away!

5. dvdiva

dvdiva Member

Good grief man! I am just asking questions here and didn't asked to get reamed for it!

Like I said...I have NEVER had problems with the so-called "crappy" dvds, so therefore I continue to use them. I did reference your links though, and did see that they ranked lower on the list. THANKS! I don't think I will reference this site again...geez.

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

don't get sooooo personal........ I told you if I did come on strong don't take it to heart! It's just that I am repeating myself with the same suggestions for the same thing twice..... so it does get kind of monotonous repeating myself twice. But to take it personal when I already told you not to take it personal .......... all I can say is that I do come on strong sometimes........ DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL!

Welcome to AfterDawn and happy burning!