1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burning (New to it)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sjb675, Mar 2, 2007.

1. sjb675

sjb675 Member

Hello, i am new to the whole dvd burning scene. i have a dvd burner and bought some blank dvd-r's. i have a bunch of downloaded movies, mostly 700mb ones (dvd rips). I understand that dvd-r's are 4.7gb, so lets say i wanted to put more than one movie on a dvd, is this possible. is it even possible to put my 700mb ones on a dvd? please list me all my possibilities as i move on and learn. thanks alot. also, for some more information, most of them are from the axxo series. let me know. any feedback will be greatly appreciated. thanks a ton.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

well for one thing you will have to convert the files to be vob complyment, convertxtodvd will do that for you

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Welcome to AfterDawn!
    Yes, it's possible. There is a learning curve to all of this. Lets start with your DVD-R discs. There is no point starting out with poor media as many do.
    Try Taiyo Yuden, Maxell (made in Japan) Verbatim, Sony (made in japan) or TDK discs.
    Check what you have against this List and see how they rate.
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

As far as adding a bunch of videos together, it shouldn't be much of a problem. You said these are DVD rips. That does not tell me much.

What do you see when you open one of these with Windows Explorer?

A DVD rip to me is a VIDEO_TS folder with a VOBS, BUPs and IFO files inside. If this is what you have then you can combine them with DVD Shrink in the Re-author mode.

Drag each one in until you have the number of clips you want on the DVD. This is a "compilation". Once your compilation is how you want it, select Backup! You need a burning program to burn with. I recommend installing ImgBurn. You can tell Shrink to start the burn (Autoburn) with ImgBurn but you have to have that version of Shrink to do so. You can download it here.

If these files are some other format then we will need to know what that is.
    You said downloaded movies so if they are in .avi or some other format and if you want to watch them in your DVD player then ConvertXtoDVD will work great.

There are a more than a few ways to burn DVDs and hopefully you will get lots of help and suggestions here.

BTW, DVD capacity is about 4480 MB max, which is about 4.3 GB. The labels are a bit misleading.

Edit: That is the maximum capacity. For more reliable burns we generally recommend nothing larger than 4464 MB and with lower quality media even less...4300MB. This keeps the burn from getting too close to the edge of the disc.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  4. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

lol - wrong wrong wrong ... we've been here before you and i - remember vince123?

do you work for VSO or something? you seem to keep pushing their software to people who are simply interested in putting several AVI files on DVD media to play back on the PC - you dont HAVE to convert to VOBs unless you are making a DVD Video to play in a standalone DVD player. re-encoding the files again will only downgrade their quality further...

Oh and FYI - i use ConvertDivXtoDVD all the time so I'm not against it when it appropriate...

5. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

no i don't work for vso. also vso convertxtodvd2 is one of the best to use with great quailty! and most people who want to put thier avi files on a dvd want to make a watchable dvd that will play in most standalone dvd players and it dose not degrade the quailty in any way, that would be like saying that when you rip a dvd dual layerd retail store bought dvd that your copy would have a lower quailty thain the orignal, if that was the case not to many people would be making backups of thier collection of dvd's i have made thousands of backups of my dvd's and not one person could tell the difference between a copy and a orignal, maby you are doing something wrong with your backups! and also if you think that i am doing something wrong please use the report an offensive post button no need to nitpick on what other users reply to ok? thanks

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  6. sjb675

sjb675 Member

ok, fasfrank, just to clearify, each movie has a folder, in these are a NFO and a movie file(the one that plays the movie). I would be burning them on DVD's to watch on standalone dvd players and not on my computer. is it still possible to do more than one at a time. if it is possible, you seem to know a ton on this subject, is there any way i can contact you outside of this forum. thanks a great deal, and greatly appreciate your help.

7. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

I Think Nero will do what you want.

To Send Private Messages Just click on the "Head" icon in the date/time Margin.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  8. sjb675

sjb675 Member

also, i plan on using this media if it is any good, if not, i will go buy some new ones.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817507005

i saw on the chart that it is manufactured by Mitsubishi (at the bottom of the page it says it)

let me know, thanks. also. i would like to learn about copying dvd's but cant find any guides *due to copyright protection ect.* IF anyone can help me out learn all this stuff it would be greatly appreciated. i am a fast learning, i have AIM - sjb675 and various other msg'ing programs. let me know, thanks a ton.

9. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Those Verbatim DVDs are an excellent choice.

Don't PM anyone with questions that can be answered here.
    See The Rules. #11.

I have a few guides here.

I'd try and open the NRO files with notepad and see what they say. I don't know where you got these movies downloaded from...Apparently from bit torrent. I know I'll have to do a virus scan just from Googling for information about these.

Once we do figure out exactly what the movie file is.....
    ...we can determine the program needed to convert it.

At this point I would guess that you could do it with ConvertX. Hopefully someone who actually does this will pop in.
    It is no big deal adding a bunch of video files together as long as you know what they are and what program is needed.

11. sjb675

sjb675 Member

this is a random movie i took. in the folder is a video file, and a MSinfo document w/ info on the movie. in this it says
    > ³²²³ TiTLE......[ Accepted ³²²³
    > ³²²³ YEAR.......[ 2006 ³²²³
    > ³²²³ GENRE......[ Comedy ³²²³
    > ³²²³ RUNTiME....[ 01:33:05 ³²²³
    > ³²²³ STORE DATE.[ November 14, 2006 ³²²³
    > ³²²³ iMDB RATE..[ 6.2/10 (2,177 votes) ³²²³
    > ³²²³ iMDB URL...[ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384793/ ³²²³
    > ³²²³ ³²²³
    > ³²²³ AUDiO......[ MP3 48000Hz 128kb/s CBR (2 chnls) ³²²³
    > ³²²³ ViDEO......[ 918 kbps XviD 23.976 FPS ³²²³
    > ³²²³ Q. FRAME...[ 0.241 bits*pixel ³²²³
    > ³²²³ RESOLUTiON.[ 620 x 256 (2.422 (46:19)) ³²²³
    > ³²²³ XViD DATE..[ 11/11/2006 ³²²³
    > ³²²³ SUBS.......[ None ³²²³
    > ³²²³ FiLES......[ 1 ³²²³
    > ³±±³ SiZE.......[ 701 MB ³±±³
    > ³°°³ SOURCE.....[ NTSC DVD ³°°³

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thats what I wanted to see.
    You have an XviD which ConvertX can work with.
    Open ConvertX and click the green + icon to add your files:

[​IMG]

Here is my ConvertXtoDVD guide.

Cheers,
    Frank

13. sjb675

sjb675 Member

fasfrank, i have to say you are the bomb. greatly appreciate it. you definitely know what you are doing. your help is TWO THUMBS UP. just one more question. i want to know if i can burn more than one of those movies on a dvd and still watch them on a standalone dvd player. for example, i have a bunch of 700mb movies so i could probably fit around 6-7 on a dvd. let me know. take care.

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If each download is an entire movie, then stick with just one per disc for now. Once you have done that feel free to try and add more.

For now, lets try and get just one of your 700 Mb movies converted and placed in your Working Folder.

Make a folder on your desktop. Name it CVX_TEST or whatever you like.

Open ConvertX.

Click Settings > General
    Click the browse button to the right of the Working Folder menu.
    Navigate until you find the folder you made. Click it to highlight then select OK. That's your Working Folder!

Now the settings menu should still be open so click the "Burning" tab and make these two changes:

1. disable "Burn Results to DVD".

2. Make sure "Delete Output after successful burn" is unchecked.

Click OK at the bottom of the Settings menu to accept the changes.

What these changes do is place your DVD-Video movie in your Working Folder and not delete it as it normally would at the completion of a conversion.

After you are done with the conversion you can right click your Working Folder and select Properties. This will give you an idea of how big the final DVD-Video size is, therefore an idea of how many you can put on a DVD. Now would be a good time to try all this. lol.
    Let me know how it works.

15. sjb675

sjb675 Member

I am very anxious to try it tonight, but will not be at my computer w/ all the data until tomorrow. i will follow the guide/instructions and will keep you updated. thanks a lot!

16. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

sjb675 when you go to do your encoding with vso in the setings if you go to encoding there will be three settings fast,normal and slow, the slowest is the highist seting but it will take longer to encode, you might want to play arround with different settings to see what one will work the best for you, one other thing, with your downloads you might want to wait for the version's of the movie that has the 5.1 audio ac3, that way you get the full monty of the movie if you know what i meen, you will find out that convertxtodvd2 is a fantastic converter, good luck

17. sjb675

sjb675 Member

also, i am not at my computer with the movies yet, going there today. one more thing. the movies that are 700mb are just the movie (nothing else) so no added features, when i click the file, it plays the movie, that is it. will i have a problem with that? let me know. thanks

18. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

ConvertX should add a default menu so each movie will have it's own start button. Even if it dosen't it would still start to play when you put the disc in your player.

19. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Listen to FastFrank. Studio 10 is good for AVI & MPEG files.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007