1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burning problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by markjd11, Mar 21, 2005.

1. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Personal Opinion:

Be Happy with your current burn speed!

You may be able to "request" a burn speed but most burners that I'm aware of will set the burn speed to give the best burns. The DVD Specification requires a multi-step Optimum Power Check during the lead-in and then a running OPC during the course of the burn. This check constantly adjusts the speed of the burn and the power output of the laser.

High burn speeds are prone to cause write errors even though the burn is successful. Personally I have burned Ritek G-04s at 8x with hacked firmware in a Pioneer A-07 and Taiyo Yuden TY02s at 8X. Just about any other discs I've tried will give me random pixelation at 8X. I usually just burn at 4X. Just my opinion.

Excellent DMA advice, bb!

2. justme223

justme223 Member

hi guys.
    i'm new here to this site.
    so i have this problem with my external dvd burner.
    when i'm trying to burn on fujifilm dvd-r 4.7 Gb...i think it burns a little then it says something like "buffer underrun error" "select a lower speed"
    but i can't go lower then 4x.
    and i have enough memory on my dell laptop.
    i tried to burn an audio cd and that was ok.
    my dvd burner is brandnew.i just got it today!! (sony)
    i'm pissed.
    i wasted 2 dvd-r.
    cause apparently i can't burn on them after the error.
    anyways here is the logfile.
    hopefully u guys can help me here :-(
    [bold]========= BEGIN OF LOG ==========

Examples SDK_DATACD
    Start Time: Wednesday, April 06, 2005, 07:09:12PM

Processor Architecture: INTEL
    Processor Type: INTEL PENTIUM
    Processor Level: 15
    Microsoft Windows XP version 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    Memory in use: 61%
    Total physical memory: 260 MB
    Total free physical memory: 100 MB
    Total paging file: 636 MB
    Total free paging file: 494 MB
    Total virtual memory: 2097 MB
    Total free virtual memory: 2006 MB

CD Layout: Data DVD
    Disc Format: DVD-ROM
    File System: UDF
    Bootable CD: No
    Total Data Blocks: 1644256

CD-Recorder: SONY DVD RW DW-D22A (E:)
    Firmware Version: BYS2
    Disc Media: DVD-R
    Free Disc Blocks: 2298496
    Test: No
    Write Speed: 4x
    Write Method: Track-At-Once
    Close Disc: Yes
    Leave Session Open: No

Error Code: 1012
    CDB: AA 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 20 00 00
    SenseKey:05 ASC:21 ASCQ:00

Finish Time: Wednesday, April 06, 2005, 07:10:01PM

========== END OF LOG ==========

[/bold]

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

hi justme223,
    First ge some DVD-RW discs so that if you do make a mistake you can re-use them. The RW stands for ReWriteable.

Buffer underrun is caused by the recieving device taking in data faster than it can be supplied. In this case it is your burner buffer that can't be supplied fast enough.
    The very first thing to check is to see what kind of USB port you have the burner connected to. If it is a USB 1.0 then that is more than likely the problem. You need a USB 2 connection to maintain the minimum data transfer rate your burner needs. There are converters available for this. Another thing to consider is adding more RAM although your numbers don't look totally bad.
    Burning a CD takes a lot less data throughput than a DVD but at least you know it works.
    Some programs don't give you an otion for a slower speed. What program are you using now?
    DVD Decrypter does give you a speed control option.

4. justme223

justme223 Member

i'm using NTI DVDMAKER GOLD
    well i tried with a verbatim 1x-8x speed and with this 1 it did work.
    so that means fujifilm is not good??
    fujifilm is dvd-r and verbatim is dvd+r(although i dont think that would have a big effect cause i'm using now verbatim dvd-rw)
    btw..my usb is 2.0

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I don't have the greatest opinion of Fujifilm.
    One effect of using a DVD-RW is that they usually have a slower burn speed so that may help you from getting a buffer underrun.

Verbatim is a very good media and +R or -R shouldn't make any difference to your burner. -Rs seem a bit more compatible with more players though. I don't have a problem with either format.

The bottom line is that you were successful with your copy program, burner, media and PC setup so why don't you burn a couple more to the RW and then try using something besides the Fujifilm media. I recommend Ritek G04 4x, Taiyo Yuden TYG02 8X, and Verbatim 4X media. These are what I'm using without problems.

6. ProphetPX

ProphetPX Member

I bought some Fujifilm CD-R's lately, and I have not had ANY problems with them. And if you ever use Alcohol 120% as your burner program, you will notice that in the section where it mentions what media you are using to burn on, that Fujifilm green-ish 48x CDR's are, in fact, MADE BY TAIYO YUDEN. And Samsung's O.D.D. website ( http://www.SamsungODD.com/ ) says that it only recommends Verbatim OR Taiyo Yuden made media, for burning most things on.

See, I used to have the same negative opinions about ANYTHING made by Fuji for a long time, until I took another chance with them and bought some cheap packs of CDR's ($8 bux per 30-pack of CDR's - a bargain in the store I got them from!!) and so i took another chance on them and they ALL BURNED FINE without a hitch! I have had some problems with my drive on other media, (very much like what this man is talking about with the buffer-underrun and "getting the drive to burn past the Lead-in" problem (thats my biggest problem right now too). but i think its only because of my drive hardware going bad, and my need to re-install Windows from scratch again (too much software install/uninstall/crashing/problems type wear and tear on my OS, over the last year)

So if anyone knows WHY a Samsung SM-348B/RASF 48x CDR burner/Combo-DVD-reader would have problems burning a 48X-rated CDR past the 4% of lead-in, and why it would hang right there before it starts laying out the actual data track, I would be most GRATEFUL if anyone could explain how I could get my burner to get past the Lead-in stage ... It only seems to want to do it if i burn a CD at 24X (which is 1/2 my max speed) and even last night, several attempts at 24x would still hang the burner right at the 4% of Lead-in and it would never start burning the initial track/session :-(

Any ideas how I can solve this problem? YES my burner is ALONE on the IDE bus, and operating at UDMA-2. I also have Adaptec's ASPI 4.72 installed, even tho Nero (6608 is what I have) uses its own WinASPI - What else can I check?

PLEASE HELP :)

thanks in advance!

7. justme223

justme223 Member

but u are talking about CD-R's..am talking about DVD-R's.
    i use verbatim now and it works like a charm.
    you know i have the same problem as you with my internal cd writer.(laptop)
    cause i'm using my external to burn dvd's and cd-r's.
    it goes to 4% and then it stops wich makes the cd crap cause u can't use it anymore.
    i reinstalled my windows xp and still the same ptoblem.
    so ya...dunno to dude??