1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burning stops at 12% or 34% and locks up the program......Help.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 95talon, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 95talon

95talon Member

Hello all, first time poster here, with a really big headache. Long story short, I got a new computer 6 weeks ago with my first DVD burner. I have done a lot of research and read all the FAQ's and guides on this site. All very helpful, but none that really addresses my problem here.

I know and understand the decrypter program, and the Shrink program when needed. I have downloaded trials from CloneDVD, Nero, Apollo, Cheetah, and 1Click DVD copy. I have tried 2 different types of media. I had the best luck with CloneDVD.
    I have had maybe 2 sucessfully burns, and about 25 burns that would start, and then stop about 34% into the burn. These are with Verbatim DVD+R light scribe disks. I also tried some cheap Dynex disc's, the same thing happens but at 12% into the burn. The program then will lock up and lock up the computer when I try to close it.
    I have burned music and data to both disc's and not had any problems at all, just DVD's.
    I was thinking about trying another brand of media, but these disc's are starting to add up fast and not having any luck. Should I call HP and try to get some tech support?
    Any help you guys can give will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. onya

onya Guest

Calling Hp for advise is like asking how long is a piece of string! Couple that with the question of backing up your DVD's will get you nowhere.

It basically boils down to the Ripper you use, the burning app you have, the speed you burn at and the QUALITY of media blanks you have.

For media choices, buy Taiyo Yuden if available, or VERBATIM. TDK's at worst.

Go HERE. for software AND guides. It can be alot to take in, but read through and all should be well.

Post back if you need.

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The fact that your drive is new, the drive is provided by HP, and you are trying Verbatim discs suggests that the problem you are encountering is not related to incompatibilities of disc/drive. The fact that you can record data (The music files on DVD are treated as data files.) on both discs--or did you mean CD-Rs?--but not video suggests that the problem lies not with the drive or the media you are choosing but in the file structures being recorded.

You appear to have a lot of recording software on your computer. Select the version that appears to work the best and remove the versions that you do not need, just in case there are conflicts. Disconnect your computer from the Internet and temporarily turn off your anti-virus software in case it, like a lot of anti-virus software, thinks it's the boss and can interrupt any running program. I suspect the problem is not related to the discs you are using but to another conflict in the system.