1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burning whats needed?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Shadow_6, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Shadow_6

Shadow_6 Guest

Hello all,

ok what is needed for burning. I have done a little research and not sure if I'm on the right track. Which of these will work for making back up's of my movies.

1. DVD rom player to put the dvd onto my drive?
    2. I hear I don't need a DVD-r writer but can use a regular burner with some clone program? is this correct???
    3 Is it better to use a caputure type unit like Dazzle to put the movie onto my drive?
    4. Burning program like nero to make the disc? and does this allow me to make menu's for the movie or do i need another program for this??

Thanks so much for any input and have a great weekend.

Shadow_6

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Hello Shadow_6,

1. Yes.
    2. Only if you plan on making only CD-R variation of the DVD, such as VCD/SVCD. If you want to burn a DVD-R, then you need a DVD burner. No software will allow a CD burner to burn a DVD-R.
    3. No. Rip the DVD. Capturing the DVD via a capture card will introduce some distortion.
    4. You'll need a burning sw like Nero, and also an authoring program like DVDit will allow you to make your own menus, etc.

I would start by investing in an DVD-R which will also allow you to rip as well. DVDdecryptor or SmartRipper are good rippers. You can download then from this site. Then go to http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/index.html and download ifoedit and study the guides on trimming/cutting the DVD after ripping. Then you can use Nero or whatever to burn.

That'll get you started.

Cheers.
    jnihil.