1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burns are freezing in DVD players---HELP!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by JimiMack, Feb 4, 2005.

1. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

I'm running Windows XP and have had no problems with burning DVD+R's or DVD-R's. That is, until I upgraded Nero to 6.6.0.6 and then shortly after downloaded and installed the "flash" to my Pioneer DVR 108 to version 1.18 (previously had originally installed drive).

CD's burn fine and smaller DVD's seem to be okay after the burn. With larger discs not all is working well. For example. Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster: The Movie disc is fine. It has the movie and a few menus, but the second disc with bonus features...it will load to the menu screen and works until a selection is made, then it freezes at the next screen. I have to turn off the dvd player to get any response.

I've burned a few CSI discs with no problem prior to the istall of the above. Now, when I burned one it freezes after the first CBS splash screen. BUT, if I just burn the "titles" without the menus, the episodes play just fine. (Without menues and special features.)

Has anyone else had a similiar problem and is there anything I can do to resolve this problem? I had no problems before! I tried installing the older version of Nero, but had the same problems. Thanks for any help!

2. punx777

punx777 Regular member

try burnin at 1x, make sure your usin quality media

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I had menu problems with CSI disc as well I think its cause the disc is so Large the compression is to low. I Just burned the episodes as well like you did and it worked fine.

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

i did the full disc on all of the csi discs and all of mine play fine

what kind of media are you using?
    don't know how fast you are burning, but i wouldn't go over 4x

5. JimiMack

JimiMack Member

I've had NO problems with Memorex DVD+R, in fact I've burned over 100 without a problem. I started having problems when I stared using TDK DVD-R. I never thought that the media could cause such problems. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best media to use, or should I just go back to Memorex?

6. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Yea but is the media manufactor code # the same as the first 100 you mention memorex. Memorex do not manufactor there own disks. This is why people over and over and over again and again tell people to use Verbatium or Tiyo Yuden media. You may pay a little more for them but personally I think there cheap compared to a year ago. Im not sure of the flash(Firmware) you made on your drive without researching it. Is it an official Pioneer firmware. Just curious why did you upgrad the drive and the software? I always say if it's not broke then don't screw with it. Are you using this drive to read and write or 2 drives? If your using 2 Try using your burner to read and write, you say movie freezing up could be a read problem. That burner has nice quality writes on the test I've seen. Go to Pioneer wevsite and see what media they recomend becouse it's been tested for drive.

Good Luck

Spacedust

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

That is kind of strange. Usually those problems occur because of useing memorex media. I wouldn't go back to memorex because they buy their media from several different manufactures (some good some bad) and you never know what you're going to get from batch to batch (you've apparently been lucky).

I agree with spacedust. Try some TY's, Verbatum Datalife Plus, or Maxell's Thats also a good idea as far as checking the pioneer web site for recommended media.

I don't think updating your f/w or burning utility should cause any problems. If anything, updating you're f/w should make your burner more compatable with more media.

8. whiteboyg

whiteboyg Guest

hey. whenever i download a movie off of kazza or imesh. all it plays is sound. it says it video but all it plays is audio dont no y. im using windows media player. if anyone got any suggestions. thanks