1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD burns fine, glitches in picture after about 40mins

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Sooty70, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Sooty70

Sooty70 Member

Hi Group,

I'm not looking for an exact answer, more like an idea of what could be wrong or some suggestions.

I've burned a couple of DVDs recently using my {forget brand} of DVD burner. All I recall about it is that I got it at Best Buy a few months ago and it was about $120. If I look on top of the casing it says DD0405. Device Manager tells me it's a GENERIC DVD RW 8xMAX. My standalone is a Sony DVP-NS725P. When I am watching the burned DVD I start seeing "glitches" and pauses after about 40-50mins but the start of the movies up until that point are perfect. Nothing too bad but the longer it goes on the worse it gets. I cleaned the disk and the lens using a philips cleaning kit and that seemed to help quite a bit but there are still some glitches. When I say glitches I mean picture break up, funky colours, etc. Note: even though my spelling is UK I'm in the US. Furthermore, if I rewind the movie I am watching the glitches do not appear in the same places nor do they appear the same e.g. sometimes the glitch could cover 25% of the screen, other times the glitch is just a few little boxes. The media I have tried is Fujifilm DVD+R 4x. I'm running Windows XP and I have seen this behaviour on DVD burned with Nero and DVD Decrypter. I tried using the cleaning disk on my PC's DVD but it wouldn't play even though it played successfully in my other DVD players.

I am thinking about getting a new burner, a big name brand this time, but I don't want to spend money that I don't really have to.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Max

2. Sooty70

Sooty70 Member

I just bought some new DVD+R and tried a reburn. So far so good, I haven't seen any glitches that I saw before. :) I thought that Fuji was a good name but I have to say that my experience thusfar has been not so good. I'll reburn my other DVD and see if I get the same improvement.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Dvd burning at the beginning is usually trial and error. Your problem sounded like poor quality blank media. We usually suggest Ritek and Verbatim Grade A media but as you have started to see you need to find what your burner likes best. Here is a good site to check burner and media compatibility. Just type your model in the search block once there.
    http://www.videohelp.com.

Jerry

4. Sooty70

Sooty70 Member

Thanks Jerry, it is definitely looking like crappy media because ever since I started using these memorex DVDs I have not seen the problem. :)

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I'm glad Memorex is working for you, but for the last 6-8 months Memorex has had about a 50% failure rate. You never know who they are buying the blanks from. Most of the time its been from companies that produce poor quality media. You must have got one of the better batches. Good luck.

Jerry

6. Sooty70

Sooty70 Member

Interesting you should say that Jerry since a friend who was over last night said the same exact thing, he has had really bad luck with memorex. Weird. For me everything has been rock solid.

Thanks again, Max

7. wowzers

wowzers Member

nutt'n but bad experiences with memorex here. Did nothing but glitch and freeze. I swithed to ritek media and been all good (cheaper as well).

8. Sooty70

Sooty70 Member

Oops, my bad, the disks are Maxell not Memorex. Just thought I should clear that up. :)