1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd cases

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by viper6699, Jan 13, 2004.

1. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

does anybody know of any good sites i can download dvd movie covers/inserts. I dont have a scanner but would like correct artwork with my back up copies.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry Guy,

I think we're going abit beyond personal back-up copies when you start to copy copy write art work -

If you think I'm off base, try going to your local Staples and trying to zerox copy written art - No two ways around it - that is PIRACY !

You are indanger of having your account frozen - see forum rules -

"P"

3. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

Hmmm never really thought of the cover being copyrighted too. Is only for my own back ups and not piracy (as you say that would be against the law). Oh well.....best stick to neat hand writing on plain paper I guess.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

5. ericbee

ericbee Regular member

First of all, many of the dvd cover art sites have original artwork designed from the ground up for people who prefer unique covers for their backups as opposed to the studios artwotk.

For this reason it is abslutely legal and NOT copywrited by anyone to download original artwork from artists making it avaialable for that exact purpose.

For these reasons I only download from www.dvdcoverart.com they charge you about 10 cents per download but, the artwork is far and away the sharpest and most high quality available on the net.

I couldn't live without it.

6. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Viper6699-check pm's.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ericbee,

If you had read the thread you would have seen that viper wanted to -
    You might have noticed that he -
    The "correct" art he refers to IS MOST DIFINATLY copy written. We were not speaking of something to be used in place of - Hence my reply.

What you speak of is a fine substitute and readably available at a nominal cost. When you pay the artist it is not piracy.

I stand by original statement,
    When I wrote
    To not consider it so, might be a costly mistake indeed. Our courts are clogged by RIAA suits. These people assumed incorrectly, art - be it written, drawn photographed or recorded should be considered protected.

Anyway 'nough said on the topic, using alternate graphics designed for sale and download is the legal way to go and makes one's media library very special and unique indeed -

"P"

8. Veblin

Veblin Active member

I would have to disagree somewhat with the above thinking.

It seems to be widely held belief on this forum that if you own a DVD, that it is legal to make a back-up copy of that copyrighted DVD, as long as it is done for your own personal use.

That may or may not be correct depending on previous or future laws and court decisions and where you live.

But by that same widely held belief it would then be equally legal to make a back-up of any other copyrighted material that comes with that DVD, to accompany that DVD back-up, as long as it is done for your own personal use.

There may be some distinction depending on if you personally scan that material as a back-up or if you download that same material that someone else has scanned.

I don't know that I can make that distinction when it comes to something that you already own and are just backing up for your own personal use. I guess it comes down to how you interpret the laws where you live.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I totally follow your line and see no problem with copying material you own - scanning

Uploading to the net and permitting downloading to any and all, and then, those doing the downloading amounts to distribution without authorization, and from the poison tree those downloading are doing so without compensating the studios.

Where I live, when you take what you do not own, they call it stealing.

Unless of course the movie companies themselves are supplying the downloads, so far, I haven't seen that, of course I haven't been everywhere -

"P"

10. philby1

philby1 Guest

viper6699 you can download covers for your dvd cases from a site affiliated with afterdawn namely cdcovers.cc hope this helps

11. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Yes. That site is currently listed as the afterdawn.com #1 Top Link.

12. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

pete
    By correct artwork i actually meant professional looking artwork that would make my back ups look more presentable and never did i itend to commit any acts of piracy. Now i have been pointed in the right direction by some other members, I can now achieve this goal.

Cant help but wonder why an inoccent question from a total stranger would prompt you to think of piracy......wonder if you have the subject too close to heart to see the real question being asked.

thanks to every one for there replies and help and for putting me right as to what is and is not legal.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

viper,

Sorry for jumping down your throat - life goes on -

Pete

14. wejamn

wejamn Member

cdcovers.cc
    p.s. i dont believe this is against the law as long as you own the ORIGINAL COPY. However what pete says may be true about it being illegal if you download covers that your dont already own

jammin