1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/CD drive conflict

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by ricster, Nov 27, 2003.

1. ricster

ricster Regular member

Newbie question. Just got a new machine which came with CD/RW drive. Fitted additional DVD/RW but machine sometimes freezes when inserting discs into either device. I'm sure there is a conflict somewhere. What should the jumper settings be ? What does CSL do ? Do I need to set something in the BIOS ? Any help would be much appreciated. Machine is Dell Dimension 8300 (3.0Ghz), XP Home, DVD is NEC 1300 firmware 1.07.

Thanks.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi,Rickster, This is a post I found, Thanks malum

26 Nov 2003 7:41 AM
    OK
    I have a little more time now, so here goes

On the back of the drive CD or HD are jumpers (metal sleeves that bridge two pins)

There are three positions to have the jumpers in

Master (MA)
    Slave (SL)
    Cable select (CS) don’t use this option

If you have two devices on one IDE cable then one must be set to master and one to slave if they are both set to one or the other the neither will work.

On the top face of the drive should be a little diagram telling you where to put the jumper for each setting.

Set your OS hard drive to Master on IDE one.
    If you have another HD put it on IDE two as slave.
    If you are going to rip to the second HD with the DVD drive then put the DVD on IDE one as slave.
    If you also have a CR-RW put it on IDE two as master.

If you have UDMA devices (which your 106 is) you need 80 strand IDE cables to get the most of it.
    Your hard drive may well be UDMA as well so you need two 80 strand cables with two connectors on each.
    If you have a full sized tower then you probably need extra long ones
    Some drives are fussy about which connector they go on (end or middle) so if it doesn’t work and you know you have the jumpers set right then change the drives to the opposite connectors.

Now all these devices need to be told to use DMA mode if they can
    This is done in the device manager (from the control panel) open the device manager and go into the IDE channels and look at the advanced settings and set the all to DMA if available. If they are already set to that and yet they say that they are transferring in PIO mode at the moment then you may have to go into the BIOS and change some settings to get them into DMA mode (not going into that here)

CORDOVA

27 Nov 2003 10:07 PM
    malum, koola, nobbi1977, paulchu, Needakip thank you ALL for your patience and very helpful advice.
    I switched both my drives to DMA and went out and bought Ritek brand 4x dvd r and now I am able to copy whole dvd's using Nero 6 (get yours free from Kazaa) in 6 minutes or less.
    Once again thank you truly for helping a stranger!
    P.S.-Does anyone know the best software for dvd movie backups.

((This is a great post for Dell owners by malum,
    Good Luck!
    Frank))_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
  3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again Rickster,
    The settings should work for any DVD drive brand you might have. In my Sony Vaio I have a Pioneer DVD recorder at the end of the IDE cable set to master and a Sony DVD ROM drive plugged in to the middle of the same IDE cable set to slave. Works for me!
    Good Luck,
    Frank

4. ricster

ricster Regular member

OK, thanks for the response fasfrank. I get a little confused over primary/secondary/master/slave. I have one cable with two connectors going to the hard disk area and another similar cable running to the optical drives. I assume that the hard disk one is the primary IDE and the optical drive one is the secondary IDE. My questions are:

1) is the master/slave setting determined only by jumpers ?
    2) does it matter which connector (of the two)is used as master or slave ?

Anyway, I got so fed up at the weekend that I decided to disable the CD/RW altogether so all I had was the DVD/RW set to master on secondary...and the machine froze every time I inserted a disc. After restart, with the disc still in the drive, it worked OK. So I began to think it must be something kicking-off when I insert the disc. I uninstalled Nero's InCD and the problem seems to have gone away. I've re-introduced the CD/RW and everything's fine so far. Now, I really need InCD so I need to figure this one out. Do you think InCD gets confused about the devices when you change them around ? I think I'll re-install it now the drives are where I want them and see what happens.