1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/CD-RW COMBO DRIVES??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nfg48, May 25, 2003.

1. nfg48

nfg48 Member

I know this may seem like stupid questions, but Im looking to buy a expensive laptop and I want to be sure I understand what the specs mean. I need a dvd burner, and I was wondering if the laptops say that they have this, it means they are dvd burners.

What does 24x/8x/8x/8x DVD+CD-RW combo drives mean? Does this mean it is also a dvd burner as well as a cd burner?

Also what does DVD/CD-RW combo mean?

2. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

They look too high for the read/write speed if it was a dvd burner. If you see something like this:
    2X max. DVD-RW/DVD-R reading
    8X max. DVD-ROM reading
    32X max. CD-RW/CD-R/CD-ROM reading
    2X max. DVD-RW writing
    2.4 X max. DVD+RW writing
    4X max. DVD-R/DVD+R writing
    10X max. CD-RW writing
    16X max. CD-R writing
    Then you would be safe to say that it is a dvd/cd burner.

cheezzzz

3. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I will tell you right now that what you are looking at is not a dvd burner, it is 24x cd read, 8x dvd read, and 8x cdr/rw burner writer. for the most part if the computer you are looking at comes with a dvd burner it will be quite expensive and will be marked quite repeatedly of this monumental achievement of placing a dvd burner in a laptop

4. MikeBUK

MikeBUK Guest

DVD/CD-RW simply means it will play DVD's but only burn CD's.

5. awesomejt

awesomejt Member

Yeap, it looks like someone will be getting an external DVD drive. If it burns DVD, all the marketing junk will make that fact very well known. It's not all bad, at least with an external drive, you'll be able to backup all your friends' computers (and movies) too. You should become real popular.