1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Chapters

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Slidell80, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Slidell80

Slidell80 Member

I ripped my DVD using DVD decrypter. I watch the DVD with PowerDVD on my computer. I set up a playlist of the different chapters in PowerDVD but when viewing the DVD there is not a smooth transition when it moves to the next chapter. Can this be fixed. Thanks

2. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Sure....There are 2 ways I can think of right off...
    (1) Use DVDx (it's free) to convert the files into a high quality(SVCD)mpeg2 file. It won't take up half as much space on your HD as the ripped VOB files take up, and the video degradation is negligible. Later, if u decide to acquire a dvd burner, you can convert the mpeg2 back into dvd-video format and burn it on a disc u can watch on yer standalone. OR.....

(2)Download a joiner and make those VOB files one HUGE VOB file. Then u won't have to click the next file when the one yer watching ends.

If you decide to go the mpeg2 route, be sure to use a high frame rate...like...30fps, and set it to make one huge .mpeg file. I really like dvdx, and used it quite a bit until I got my dvd burner. The only drawback is that it takes me like 5 hours to convert a 2 hour movie to mpeg2, since it has to transcode each frame individually. The resulting mpeg2 is, to my untrained eye, about 85% as good as dvd.

Good luck.